Does the Speed of Light Change When Measured from the Sun?

In summary: This experiment found no difference in the speeds, confirming the constancy of the speed of light regardless of the direction of motion. More information can be found in the section on "Astronomical Measurements" in the Wikipedia article on the speed of light.
rushikesh
I know about the Michaelson-Morley expt. trying to measure the speed of light, once in the direction of motion of the Earth and then perpendicular to it. But the source of light was a torch (or similar) which is (obviously) on earth.

I have somewhere read that it was also done with the source of light as sun. That is, it was experimented to find out whether the speed of light from sun appears the same while moving towards it or away from it. Can anyone tell me more about this experiment (with respect to sun) or provide a reference giving more details?

Physics news on Phys.org
rushikesh said:
I know about the Michaelson-Morley expt. trying to measure the speed of light, once in the direction of motion of the Earth and then perpendicular to it. But the source of light was a torch (or similar) which is (obviously) on earth.
MMX was not actually measuring the speed of light, it was comparing the round-trip speed of light along one path to the round-trip speed of light along a perpendicular path.

rushikesh said:
I have somewhere read that it was also done with the source of light as sun. That is, it was experimented to find out whether the speed of light from sun appears the same while moving towards it or away from it. Can anyone tell me more about this experiment (with respect to sun) or provide a reference giving more details?
I think you may be remembering the DeSitter experiment which compared the one-way speed of light between two stars

Related to Does the Speed of Light Change When Measured from the Sun?

What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is a fundamental physical constant that represents the speed at which electromagnetic radiation travels in a vacuum, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

How is the speed of light measured?

The speed of light can be measured using different methods, such as the use of mirrors and precise timing devices or the use of interferometers. The most accurate method currently used involves bouncing a laser beam off of a mirror placed on the moon and measuring the time it takes for the light to return.

Why is the speed of light important?

The speed of light is important because it is the fastest possible speed in the universe and plays a crucial role in many fundamental laws of physics, including Einstein's theory of relativity. It also has practical applications in fields such as telecommunications and astronomy.

Has the speed of light always been constant?

According to our current understanding, the speed of light has always been constant. However, there are some theories that suggest it may have been different in the early stages of the universe.

What is the significance of measuring the speed of light?

Measuring the speed of light allows us to better understand the properties of light and its role in the universe. It also helps us develop new technologies and improve our understanding of the laws of physics.