Does the Soccer Ball Move If I Kick It with Equal Force?

• Thread starter Dynamics101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball Force
In summary, when kicking a soccer ball, the ball exerts an equal force on your foot as you exert on it due to Newton's Third Law. However, because the ball has a smaller mass than your foot, it experiences a greater acceleration and therefore moves. This is also why you may not feel as much movement in your foot when the ball hits it. In terms of unequal forces, it is possible for one object to exert a greater force on another, as long as the forces are still balanced and follow Newton's Third Law. This can be seen in situations such as lifting a heavier object or pushing a car.
Dynamics101
If i kick a soccer ball, the soccer ball exerts the same force on my foot as i exert of the ball. In that case, why does the soccer ball move at all. If the forces are equal should there be motion. I know it a dumb question but i need some deep explanation. Also can I exert force on something and have the forces be unequal? Or will force always be equal regardless.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not that deep,
The soccer ball has a smaller mass than your body does.
Therefore the force exerted on the soccer ball by you causes the ball to accelerate rapidly.
The equivalent force applied by the ball to your foot is the same amount but it doesn't accelerate your 'heavier' foot very much.
(It will be noticeable though.)

Likes Dynamics101
Thank you bud :D

Dynamics101 said:
If i kick a soccer ball, the soccer ball exerts the same force on my foot as i exert of the ball. In that case, why does the soccer ball move at all. If the forces are equal should there be motion. I know it a dumb question but i need some deep explanation. Also can I exert force on something and have the forces be unequal? Or will force always be equal regardless.
https://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/physics/horsecart.htm

Related to Does the Soccer Ball Move If I Kick It with Equal Force?

1. What is the force on a soccer ball when it is kicked?

The force on a soccer ball when it is kicked depends on several factors, such as the strength and technique of the player, the distance from which the ball is kicked, and the type of kick. However, on average, the force can range from 2000-3000 Newtons.

2. How does the force on the soccer ball affect its trajectory?

The force on the soccer ball determines its initial velocity and direction, which in turn affects its trajectory. The greater the force, the faster the ball will travel and the farther it will go before gravity and air resistance slow it down.

3. Does the material of the soccer ball affect the force acting on it?

Yes, the material of the soccer ball can affect the force acting on it. A lighter ball will experience less force than a heavier ball when kicked with the same amount of force. Additionally, the surface of the ball can also impact the force, with smoother surfaces experiencing less air resistance and thus traveling farther.

4. Can the force on a soccer ball change during a game?

Yes, the force on a soccer ball can change during a game. As the game progresses, players may become fatigued and therefore produce less force when kicking the ball. Additionally, weather conditions such as wind can also impact the force on the ball.

5. How is the force on a soccer ball calculated?

The force on a soccer ball can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that force equals mass times acceleration. By measuring the mass of the ball and its acceleration after being kicked, the force can be determined using this equation. Alternatively, specialized equipment, such as a force plate, can also be used to directly measure the force of a kick.