Does the school you attend really matter? (Undergrad)

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's financial constraints in leaving their state of Oregon until graduate school and the importance of choosing the right university for their education. There are several reputable universities in Oregon, including Oregon State, Portland State, and the University of Oregon, and the speaker's decision should be based on factors such as academic record, student facilities, and personal involvement in their education. Ultimately, the quality of one's education is determined by their own efforts and there are successful individuals who have attended both top universities and local schools. Staying in-state will not limit future prospects.
CalebB-M
Hello, I don't mean that question to sound rude or judging, but financially I can't really leave my state (Oregon) until graduate school. I was always told that in science where you go matters, but no one in my family except my uncle have gone to college. Thanks in advance for the advise.

Physics news on Phys.org
CalebB-M said:
Hello, I don't mean that question to sound rude or judging, but financially I can't really leave my state (Oregon) until graduate school.
That does not sound rude or judging. It just describes your situation.
CalebB-M said:
I was always told that in science where you go matters, but no one in my family except my uncle have gone to college.
Good that you intend on going to college. I found three public research universities in Oregon: Oregon State, Portland State and the University of Oregon. My first impression (as a European, from a small country where the level of the undergraduate programs in mathematics, engineering and the sciences is more or less equal among its (almost exclusively public) universities) is that all of these should offer good undergraduate programs. However, this is just a first impression. It could perhaps serve as a starting point for you to look into this further and discuss this with fellow Americans.

Amusingly, I just found of that Linus Pauling did his undergraduate studies in Oregon State. (Of course that was a while ago, but still...)

P.S. I think that, specially in undergraduate studies, perhaps as important as the academic record of a certain university is the university's student facilities, housing and education facilities. When you enter university, a number of aspects of your life will inevitably change. It is important that you feel safe, at ease and motivated in your new environment.

I think the answer is "it depends". There are some undergraduate universities that are probably not worth the tuition you'll pay for them. However, Oregon State or Oregon University are both reputable universities that probably offer quality course work. I don't think anyone is going to see your application and say "Oh these schools are garbage let's skip them!" So it comes down to mostly what you do while you are at university.

You'll find that your education is what you make of it. You can skate by and take courses that are required and hope it is enough. Or you can get involved in research, problem solving, or campus leadership. Like life, your education is what you make of it. Plus there's a myriad of other factors that should be considered when deciding which universities to attend. To give you an example from my life, I attended a top 10 university after high school and I also was kicked out of that same 10 university with an impressive 1.2 GPA. At 18, I was not self-disciplined enough to do well far away from home and it showed. 10 years later I went back to school and graduated with a 4.0 from a local school near my hometown and went off to a pretty decent graduate program.

The Oregon schools mentioned along with Reed which is private are good universities that will provide good research opportunities. Although there may are equal and higher regarded programs nationwide, I agree with the other posters that you will not be limiting your future prospects in staying in-state.

Related to Does the school you attend really matter? (Undergrad)

1. Does the reputation of the school I attend affect my future career opportunities?

Yes, the reputation of the school you attend can have an impact on your future career opportunities. Employers often consider the prestige and academic rigor of a university when making hiring decisions. However, it is not the only factor that determines your success. Your skills, experience, and networking abilities also play a significant role in your career path.

2. Will attending a top-ranked school guarantee a successful career?

No, attending a top-ranked school does not guarantee a successful career. While these schools may offer better resources and opportunities, it ultimately depends on how you utilize them. Success also depends on your individual efforts, skills, and determination.

3. Is it worth paying more for a prestigious university?

It depends on your personal goals and financial situation. Prestigious universities often come with a higher price tag, but they may offer better resources and networking opportunities. If you can afford it and believe it will help you achieve your career goals, then it may be worth the investment. However, there are also many affordable universities that can provide a quality education and lead to successful careers.

4. Are there any advantages to attending a less well-known school?

Yes, there are advantages to attending a less well-known school. These schools may offer smaller class sizes, more personalized attention from professors, and unique programs or opportunities that may not be available at larger institutions. Additionally, attending a less well-known school can also be more affordable and allow for a greater focus on academics rather than the school's reputation.

5. Can attending a prestigious university make up for a lack of experience?

No, attending a prestigious university cannot make up for a lack of experience. Employers value hands-on experience and skills gained through internships, research projects, and other opportunities. While a prestigious university may open doors for you, it is important to actively seek out and gain relevant experience to be competitive in the job market.