Does the refractive index law change according to the medium

In summary, the conversation discusses the refractive index law and how it can be written as ##\sin(\alpha) n_\alpha = \sin(\beta) n_\beta##, where n represents the refractive index of the medium and α and β represent angles. It is important to be consistent in labeling the angles and to remember that n refers to the medium being discussed. The conversation also clarifies the role of the i and r angles in the equation, with the r angle being the one in the water in this case.
Syndy
The refrative index law should be sine(i)/sine(r) but in the answer he done the opposite. I included the answer in the bottom of the question.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 378
Physics news on Phys.org
It just depends on what you call i and r and which angle you know.

You can also write it as ##\sin(\alpha) n_\alpha = \sin(\beta) n_\beta## where nα means the refractive index of the medium where you have the angle α and similar for β. Usually, one medium is air with n=1.

In the question provided, the i angle is the one from the lamp in the water and the r is the one in the air.

What do you think about the answer I attached? Why is the r angle is the one in the water?!

As I said, it does not matter how you call them, you just have to be consistent. n refers to the water, so the sine in the denominator on the other side should use the angle in the water here.

Ok. Thank you very much.

Related to Does the refractive index law change according to the medium

1. What is the refractive index law?

The refractive index law, also known as Snell's law, describes the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction when light travels from one medium to another.

2. Does the refractive index law apply to all mediums?

Yes, the refractive index law applies to all mediums, including solids, liquids, and gases. However, it may not be applicable to certain materials with unique properties, such as metamaterials.

3. Does the refractive index law change according to the medium?

Yes, the refractive index law states that the angle of refraction will change when light travels from one medium to another. This change is due to the difference in the speed of light in different mediums.

4. How does the refractive index of a medium affect light?

The refractive index of a medium determines how much the speed of light will change when it passes through that medium. This affects the angle of refraction, which in turn affects the path of light.

5. Can the refractive index law be used to predict the path of light in different mediums?

Yes, the refractive index law can be used to predict the path of light in different mediums by calculating the angle of refraction. However, this prediction may not be accurate for materials with complex structures or for light with multiple wavelengths.