Does the observed frequency approach infinity or does it become negative?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Relativistic Doppler Shift Formula to calculate the Doppler shift in light with the relative motion of C. The formula is mentioned and the possibility of accuracy when using the speed of light for relative motion is questioned. The conversation also mentions the expected value and the observed frequency in different scenarios of the source's motion.
k-hursh
I chose to write an essay on the "interesting" question I stumbled upon

For part of it I am trying to calculate the Doppler shift in light with the relative motion of C. I suppose in the effort to not drone on for days I will first limit it to small, more simple questions and later,if we happen down a long path, so be it :).

I used the Relativistic Doppler Shift Formula for trying to calculate/prove the blue shift. The value I came up with is -1.585... I was expecting to get a value of 1, which would have indicated a forward, relative motion of one hundred percent the speed of light? So does anyone know if The Relative Doppler Shift is capable of being accurate when using the speed of light for relative motion/velocity? If so than is my math incorrect?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What formulas did you consider?

k-hursh said:
The Relative Doppler Shift is capable of being accurate when using the speed of light for relative motion/velocity?

## f = f' \sqrt{ \dfrac{c-v}{c+v}} ## where v is taken to be positive if the source is moving linearly awayfrom you, f is observed frequency and f' is frequency emitted. As you can see, when v approaces c, the observed frequency goes to 0, that is usually said as "red shifted to infinity".

Now, can you figure out what will happen if source is approaching, and if approaching in the limit v -> c?

Related to Does the observed frequency approach infinity or does it become negative?

What is the Relativistic Doppler Shift?

The Relativistic Doppler Shift is a phenomenon in which the frequency and wavelength of electromagnetic waves, such as light, are affected by the relative motion between the source of the waves and the observer.

How does the Relativistic Doppler Shift differ from the classical Doppler Shift?

The classical Doppler Shift only takes into account the relative motion between the source and the observer, while the Relativistic Doppler Shift also considers the effects of time dilation and length contraction due to the high speeds at which objects may be moving relative to each other.

What is the formula for calculating the Relativistic Doppler Shift?

The formula for calculating the Relativistic Doppler Shift is:

frequency observed = frequency emitted * (1 + velocity of observer / speed of light) / (1 + velocity of source / speed of light)

How does the Relativistic Doppler Shift affect the color of light?

The Relativistic Doppler Shift can cause a shift in the color of light, known as the relativistic color shift. If an object is moving towards an observer, the wavelength of the light will appear shorter, shifting towards the blue end of the spectrum. If an object is moving away from an observer, the wavelength will appear longer, shifting towards the red end of the spectrum.

What are some real-world applications of the Relativistic Doppler Shift?

The Relativistic Doppler Shift has practical applications in fields such as astronomy, where it is used to determine the speed and distance of celestial objects, and in technology, where it is used in devices such as radar guns and GPS systems.