Does the Intermediate Value Theorem Allow a Zero Value in a Non-Zero Interval?

In summary: If there exists a point x2 such that g(x2)=0, then g(x) cannot be greater than 0 for all x in I because there is at least one x (x2) where g(x)=0. The proof is showing that this cannot happen, so we can conclude that g(x) must be greater than 0 for all x in I.
christian0710
Hi, I'm confused about an explanation in Elementary Calculus, the infinitesimal approach regarding Intermediate Value Theorem. The explanation:

Suppose g is a continuous function on an inverval I, and g(x) # 0 for all x in I

(i) If g(c) > 0 for at least one c in I, then g(x) > 0 for all X in I
(ii) if g(c) < 0 for at least one c in I, Then g(x) < 0 for all x in I

Proof: Let g(c) >0 for some c in I. If g(x1) < 0 for some other point x1 in I, Then by Intermediate value theorem, there is a point x2 between c and x1 such that g(x2) = 0, contrary to hypothesis. Therefore we conclude that g(x) > 0 for all x in I

The one thing I don't understand is this:
If g(x) # 0 for all x in I, then how can there be a point x2 such that g(x2)=0 between c and x1 (assuming c and x1 and x2 are within the inverval I) if g(x) is # 0 for all x??
"g(x) is # 0 for all x" tells me that the equation g(x) can never be zero for any x right?

And how can we conclude that g(x) > 0 for all x in I, if there exists a point x2 such that g(x)=0?

Physics news on Phys.org
christian0710 said:
If g(x) # 0 for all x in I, then how can there be a point x2 such that g(x2)=0 between c and x1 (assuming c and x1 and x2 are within the inverval I) if g(x) is # 0 for all x??
There cannot be such a point. Since assuming that g(x1) < 0 leads to the existence of such a point, the assumption cannot be correct. This is the entire point of a proof by contradiction: Assume A. If A leads to a contradiction, then the negation of A must be true. In your case, A is "there exists a x1 such that g(x1) < 0". Since it leads to a contradiction, there is no x1 for which g(x1) < 0, thus proving that g(x) > 0 for all x.

christian0710 said:
Hi, I'm confused about an explanation in Elementary Calculus, the infinitesimal approach regarding Intermediate Value Theorem. The explanation:

Suppose g is a continuous function on an inverval I, and g(x) # 0 for all x in I

(i) If g(c) > 0 for at least one c in I, then g(x) > 0 for all X in I
(ii) if g(c) < 0 for at least one c in I, Then g(x) < 0 for all x in I

Proof: Let g(c) >0 for some c in I. If g(x1) < 0 for some other point x1 in I, Then by Intermediate value theorem, there is a point x2 between c and x1 such that g(x2) = 0, contrary to hypothesis. Therefore we conclude that g(x) > 0 for all x in I

The one thing I don't understand is this:
"g(x) is # 0 for all x" tells me that the equation g(x) can never be zero for any x right?
There can't exist such a point. That's exactly what this proof is saying. Where did you get the idea that there could?

And how can we conclude that g(x) > 0 for all x in I, if there exists a point x2 such that g(x)=0?
We can't! That is the exact opposite of what this proof is saying.

Related to Does the Intermediate Value Theorem Allow a Zero Value in a Non-Zero Interval?

1. What is the Intermediate Value Theorem?

The Intermediate Value Theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval [a, b], then it takes on every value between f(a) and f(b) at least once. In other words, if a function changes sign between two points, it must cross the x-axis at least once.

2. How is the Intermediate Value Theorem used in real-life applications?

The Intermediate Value Theorem is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to prove the existence of certain solutions. For example, it can be used to show that a projectile will hit a target at a certain time, or that a chemical reaction will reach a certain temperature.

3. Can the Intermediate Value Theorem be applied to all functions?

No, the Intermediate Value Theorem only applies to continuous functions. A function is considered continuous if it has no abrupt changes or jumps in its graph.

4. How is the Intermediate Value Theorem related to the Mean Value Theorem?

The Intermediate Value Theorem is a special case of the Mean Value Theorem. The Mean Value Theorem states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval [a, b] and differentiable on the open interval (a, b), then there exists a point c in (a, b) where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the average rate of change of the function on the interval [a, b]. The Intermediate Value Theorem can be seen as a specific case of this, where the average rate of change is equal to 0.

5. What are the limitations of the Intermediate Value Theorem?

The Intermediate Value Theorem only guarantees the existence of a solution, but it does not provide any information about the location or uniqueness of the solution. In some cases, a function may have multiple solutions that satisfy the theorem. Additionally, the theorem requires the function to be continuous, which may not always be the case in real-life applications.