Does the initial temperature affect the change in temp?

In summary: The solubility of NaOH does increase with temperature, but this shouldn't be an issue because the reaction NaOH → OH^−_{(aq)} + Na^+_{(aq)} takes place.The solubility of NaOH does increase with temperature, but this shouldn't be an issue because the reaction NaOH → OH^−_{(aq)} + Na^+_{(aq)} takes place.
Hen Sharir
Say I dissolve NaOH in water - a very exothermic reaction.
Does it matter if I dissolve it in water that is at room temperature or at a different temperature?

Will changing the initial temperature of the water affect the dH of the reaction (hence affect the change in temperature at the end of the reaction)?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yes, temperature plays a big role. But it is more important the change of Gibbs free energy according to the Van't Hoff equation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_'t_Hoff_equation

Enthalpy of reaction also changes with temperature but its variation is "usually" negligible (it depends, of course).

dRic2 said:
Yes, temperature plays a big role. But it is more important the change of Gibbs free energy according to the Van't Hoff equation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_'t_Hoff_equation

Enthalpy of reaction also changes with temperature but its variation is "usually" negligible (it depends, of course).

ok so let me know if I understand right (from what I read in the link you shared).
In exothermic reactions - as the initial temperature increases, dH/R becomes smaller hence dH being a smaller value?

so if I apply this to the example I gave with NaOH - as I increase the initial temperature of the water, dH of the reaction decreases hence the change in temperature is smaller?

No. Gibbs free energy is related to the equilibrium constant and to the enthalpy of reaction (which is not to be confused with the total ##ΔH##) . Van't Hoff equation tells us that exothermic reactions are less favored at higher temperature. This means that you get less products if you work at higher temperature.

If you have less product the total ##ΔH## decreases and so you may have a smaller change in temperature

Last edited:
dRic2 said:
No. Gibbs free energy is related to the equilibrium constant and to the enthalpy of reaction (which is not to be confused with the total ##ΔH##) . Van't Hoff equation tells us that exothermic reactions are less favored at higher temperature. This means that you get less products if work at higher temperature.

If you have less product the total ##ΔH## decreases and so you may have a smaller change in temperature

Solids are generally more soluble at higher temperatures. Is this not true for NaOH and other solutes that dissolve exothermically?

Ygggdrasil said:
Solids are generally more soluble at higher temperatures. Is this not true for NaOH and other solutes that dissolve exothermically?

I don't know. Mass transfer processes (like diffusivity) and kinetics should have a big role here. I was just reasoning about the thermodynamics of the reaction. I think this problem is more complex than I thought. I just wanted to make some stuff clear about exothermic reaction, I don't know what happens in particular if you dissolve NaOH in water.

@Ygggdrasil I checked on my thermodynamic book and I found out that solubility for solids (in liquids) can be expressed as:

##x_{i} = exp \left ( \frac {ΔH_{i, fus}} {R} \left ( \frac 1 {T_{i, fus}} - \frac 1 T \right) \right )##

So if the temperature increases then also the solubility increases. But this is true for non-reagent systems and so this should not be true for ##NaOH## because the reaction

##NaOH → OH^-_{(aq)} + Na^+_{(aq)}##

takes place.

Moreover ##OH^-_{(aq)}## and ##Na^+_{(aq)}## diffusivity should increase with temperature so they would move to places where their concentration is lower with higher speed. This means that the layer where the reaction takes place has a lower concentration of products and so...

To sum it up... I have no idea of what should happen :nb):nb)

If nothing else helps - check tables.

Likes Bystander
Borek said:
If nothing else helps - check tables.

It seems from these tables that solubility of NaOH increases with temperature so I guess mass transfer is more important here than chemical equilibrium

dRic2 said:
It seems from these tables that solubility of NaOH increases with temperature so I guess mass transfer is more important here than chemical equilibrium
does it matter that solubility increases if in both cases all of the NaOH dissolves?

edit: or well not ALL of it but in both cases, it reaches the equilibrium

dRic2 said:
I don't know. Mass transfer processes (like diffusivity) and kinetics should have a big role here. I was just reasoning about the thermodynamics of the reaction. I think this problem is more complex than I thought. I just wanted to make some stuff clear about exothermic reaction, I don't know what happens in particular if you dissolve NaOH in water.

While mass transfer/diffusion and kinetics will affect the speed at which the reaction reaches equilibrium, it shouldn't affect the position of the equilibrium.

Ygggdrasil said:
While mass transfer/diffusion and kinetics will affect the speed at which the reaction reaches equilibrium, it shouldn't affect the position of the equilibrium.

That's true but

dRic2 said:
Moreover OH−(aq)OH(aq)−OH^-_{(aq)} and Na+(aq)Na(aq)+Na^+_{(aq)} diffusivity should increase with temperature so they would move to places where their concentration is lower with higher speed. This means that the layer where the reaction takes place has a lower concentration of products and so...

Otherwise how can NaOH solubility increase if exothermic reaction are less favored at higher T?EDIT: I though of a way to explain it. NaOH in water should give the reaction ##NaOH → Na^+ + OH^-##, so we can write

##NaOH_{s} ↔ NaOH_{l} ## // Solid-Liquid equilibrium
##NaOH_{l} ↔ Na^+ + OH^-##

If we consider the solubility of NaOH as the concentration of ##NaOH_{l} + Na^+ + OH^-## we can say this:

The reaction ##NaOH_{l} ↔ Na^+ + OH^-## gives less products, but this only means that there will be less NaOH dissociated. In fact NaOH is still present in the liquid solution but in its non-dissociated form. That being said we can focus on the first equation ##NaOH_{s} ↔ NaOH_{l} ##. This is a simple non-reagent equilibrium so it can be described with formula I mentioned earlier:

##x_i = exp \left ( \frac {ΔH_{NaOH, fus}} R \left ( \frac 1 {T_{NaOH, fus}} - \frac 1 T \right ) \right )##

This explain why solubility still increase with Temperature. Do you think this sounds reasonable?

Last edited:
dRic2 said:
That's true but
Otherwise how can NaOH solubility increase if exothermic reaction are less favored at higher T?EDIT: I though of a way to explain it. NaOH in water should give the reaction ##NaOH → Na^+ + OH^-##, so we can write

##NaOH_{s} ↔ NaOH_{l} ## // Solid-Liquid equilibrium
##NaOH_{l} ↔ Na^+ + OH^-##

If we consider the solubility of NaOH as the concentration of ##NaOH_{l} + Na^+ + OH^-## we can say this:

The reaction ##NaOH_{l} ↔ Na^+ + OH^-## gives less products, but this only means that there will be less NaOH dissociated. In fact NaOH is still present in the liquid solution but in its non-dissociated form. That being said we can focus on the first equation ##NaOH_{s} ↔ NaOH_{l} ##. This is a simple non-reagent equilibrium so it can be described with formula I mentioned earlier:

##x_i = exp \left ( \frac {ΔH_{NaOH, fus}} R \left ( \frac 1 {T_{NaOH, fus}} - \frac 1 T \right ) \right )##

This explain why solubility still increase with Temperature. Do you think this sounds reasonable?

I spoke to my Chemistry teacher about it and she said that since NaOH is already VERY soluble in water the increase in temperature shouldn't have a noticeable effect on its equilibrium.

Likes dRic2
Yeah, changes are small, but they exist (according to wikipedia) :wink:

Related to Does the initial temperature affect the change in temp?

1. Does the initial temperature always affect the final temperature?

Yes, the initial temperature does have an impact on the final temperature. The initial temperature is the starting point of the system and it plays a significant role in determining the amount of change in temperature.

2. How does the initial temperature affect the change in temperature?

The initial temperature affects the change in temperature by providing the energy needed for the molecules to move and increase their kinetic energy. The higher the initial temperature, the more energy is available for the molecules to increase their movement, resulting in a larger change in temperature.

3. Is there a specific formula to calculate the change in temperature based on the initial temperature?

Yes, there is a formula to calculate the change in temperature based on the initial temperature. It is known as the specific heat formula, which takes into account the mass, specific heat capacity, and change in temperature of the substance.

4. Can the initial temperature affect the rate of change in temperature?

Yes, the initial temperature can affect the rate of change in temperature. The higher the initial temperature, the faster the rate of change in temperature as there is more energy available for the molecules to increase their movement and temperature.

5. Are there any other factors besides initial temperature that can affect the change in temperature?

Yes, there are other factors besides initial temperature that can affect the change in temperature. These include the type of substance, its specific heat capacity, the amount of energy being added or removed, and the surrounding temperature or environment.