Does the holographic principle remove the need for dark matter

In summary, the holographic principle is not a theory but a mathematical equivalence that states the same laws of physics in some number of dimensions can be equivalently described in one less dimension. It does not invalidate our understanding of our world as a three-dimensional space and cannot make any statements about the existence of dark matter.
Lino
I appreciate that the holographic principle is just a theory, but if I accept it and the related aspects of string theory, does it do away with the need for dark matter (since I think that the mass approaches infinity as one changes the reference frame in which one observes the the mass)?

(I'm asking this based on my reading of Susskind: The Blackhole War, and specifically the analogy of Alices' Airoplane.)

Regards,

Noel.

Space news on Phys.org
Lino said:
I appreciate that the holographic principle is just a theory, but if I accept it and the related aspects of string theory, does it do away with the need for dark matter (since I think that the mass approaches infinity as one changes the reference frame in which one observes the the mass)?

(I'm asking this based on my reading of Susskind: The Blackhole War, and specifically the analogy of Alices' Airoplane.)

Regards,

Noel.
The holographic principle isn't really a theory. It's a mathematical equivalence: it's a statement that the exact same laws of physics in some number of dimensions are exactly equivalent to a different set of laws of physics in one less dimension. This only works with certain, specific laws of physics.

Because it is an equivalence, one description is equally as real as the other. If it turns out that the laws of physics that describe our own space-time can be reduced to a different set of laws on a surface, then that in no way means that our own understanding of our world as a three-dimensional world (four including time) is invalid: it just say it's one way of looking at things, though there are others.

So no, there's really no way that holography can say much of anything about the existence (or not) of dark matter.

Thanks Chalnoth.

Regards,

Noel.

Related to Does the holographic principle remove the need for dark matter

What is the holographic principle?

The holographic principle is a theory in physics that suggests the information contained within a 3-dimensional space can be represented by a 2-dimensional surface. This means that the entire universe could be seen as a hologram, with all the information needed to describe it contained on its outer boundary.

How does the holographic principle relate to dark matter?

The holographic principle has been proposed as a possible explanation for the existence of dark matter. It suggests that the gravitational effects attributed to dark matter could actually be explained by the information contained on the boundary of the universe, rather than the presence of unseen particles.

Does the holographic principle completely remove the need for dark matter?

No, the holographic principle is still a theory and has not been proven. Additionally, there are still many observations and experiments that support the existence of dark matter. While the holographic principle may offer an alternative explanation, it does not necessarily replace the need for dark matter.

What evidence supports the idea that the holographic principle could replace dark matter?

Some scientists have used mathematical models to show that the gravitational effects attributed to dark matter can be explained by the holographic principle. However, this is still a controversial idea and more research and evidence is needed to fully support it.

Are there any other theories that could potentially replace the need for dark matter?

Yes, there are several alternative theories and hypotheses that have been proposed to explain the observations attributed to dark matter. These include modified theories of gravity, axions, and primordial black holes. However, none of these theories have been fully proven and the existence of dark matter remains a mystery.