Does the Frequency of Gravitational Radiation Alter the Cosmological Constant?

In summary: Different sources emit radiation at different frequency. That's like asking about "the mass of an animal" - there is no such value. There are typical values for some types of animals, but that is a completely different thing.The frequency depends on the black hole masses, in general those are not known in advance - the masses are determined by the frequency spectrum. This is different from electromagnetic radiation, where we can use spectral lines with well-defined frequency.Even if we get lucky enough to find a gravitational wave source where we have an independent way to measure a mass, the precision won't be very good.And to make it even worse, the current sensors can only measure mergers up to ~1 billion light years
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
It occurred to me that if the speed of gravity is the speed of light, then the universe must be accelerating due to Dark Energy, What my question is do we know the frequency of gravitational radiation, If we do then any compression or expansion of these waves will change the cosmological constant.

Thank you for your replies.

Space news on Phys.org
wolram said:
It occurred to me that if the speed of gravity is the speed of light, then the universe must be accelerating due to Dark Energy
What does "the universe must be accelerating" mean, and why do you expect this as consequence?
wolram said:
What my question is do we know the frequency of gravitational radiation
Different sources emit radiation at different frequency. That's like asking about "the mass of an animal" - there is no such value. There are typical values for some types of animals, but that is a completely different thing.
wolram said:
If we do then any compression or expansion of these waves will change the cosmological constant.
That doesn't make sense at all.

This would be a typical representation of the signal frequency of a BH merger.
Chirp.PNG

Likes fresh_42
I mean if we take a known source like black hole merger and take the red shift of it , one could compare it to the gravitational waves, if the GW's frequency shortens or lengthens one could determine if the universe is accelerating or not.

wolram said:
It occurred to me that if the speed of gravity is the speed of light, then the universe must be accelerating due to Dark Energy, What my question is do we know the frequency of gravitational radiation, If we do then any compression or expansion of these waves will change the cosmological constant.
First, I don't think the second half of that first sentence follows at all. Why do you think the speed of gravity has anything at all to do with the accelerated expansion? After all, you can get the exact same expansion from a Newtonian model of an expanding universe with a cosmological constant, and Newtonian gravity has infinite propagation speed. The speed of gravity just isn't a factor in the Friedmann equations at all.

Second, why would you think that gravitational waves would have any impact on the cosmological constant?

wolram said:
I mean if we take a known source like black hole merger and take the red shift of it , one could compare it to the gravitational waves, if the GW's frequency shortens or lengthens one could determine if the universe is accelerating or not.
Huh? The gravity waves are simply redshifted along with the expansion.

Likes wolram
Chalnoth said:
Huh? The gravity waves are simply redshifted along with the expansion.

That is what I mean we can test expansion by comparing light travel time with gravitational radiation travel time.

wolram said:
we can test expansion by comparing light travel time with gravitational radiation travel time

How will that help? They are the same.

wolram said:
In principle yes, in practice no.
The frequency depends on the black hole masses, in general those are not known in advance - the masses are determined by the frequency spectrum. This is different from electromagnetic radiation, where we can use spectral lines with well-defined frequency.
Even if we get lucky enough to find a gravitational wave source where we have an independent way to measure a mass, the precision won't be very good.
And to make it even worse, the current sensors can only measure mergers up to ~1 billion light years away. That might be sufficient to see the overall expansion, but measuring the acceleration of that expansion would need larger distances.

The acceleration of the expansion has been measured with electromagnetic radiation. A much less sensitive measurement via gravitational waves would be nice, but wouldn't improve our understanding of the universe.

Thanks for explaining mfb.

Likes mfb
wolram said:

Thank you for your replies.
Actually you r quite right. If you try to calculate gravitational wave intensity at points nearer to a black hole it will be observed that as one moves away from the black hole the intensity decreases.

Now if you try to measure the gravitational wave frequency you will get WRONG answers as there are more black holes and so by superposition principle the waves will superpose to give resultant freq with arbitrary values.

Agni101 said:
Now if you try to measure the gravitational wave frequency you will get WRONG answers as there are more black holes and so by superposition principle the waves will superpose to give resultant freq with arbitrary values.
Black hole mergers have a luminosity exceeding all other sources in the observable universe by a huge margin.
For periodic sources, you can do a Fourier transformation - it will give you the right frequencies. In addition, you can take the data from multiple observatories (2 LIGO, soon 1 VIRGO, more in the next years) to locate them in the sky and separate sources even if they have a similar frequency.

Likes Agni101 and 1oldman2

Related to Does the Frequency of Gravitational Radiation Alter the Cosmological Constant?

1. What are gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of space-time that are caused by the acceleration of massive objects. They were first predicted by Albert Einstein in his theory of general relativity.

2. How fast do gravitational waves travel?

The speed of gravitational waves is equivalent to the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This means that gravitational waves travel at the fastest possible speed in the universe.

3. Can anything travel faster than gravitational waves?

According to the theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, including gravitational waves. This is a fundamental principle of our current understanding of the laws of physics.

4. How is the speed of gravitational waves measured?

The speed of gravitational waves can be measured using interferometry, a technique that involves using lasers to measure changes in the distance between two objects caused by the passing of a gravitational wave. This method has been successfully used to detect and confirm the existence of gravitational waves.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the speed of gravitational waves?

According to the theory of general relativity, the speed of gravitational waves is not affected by the mass or energy of the objects that produce them. However, the space-time through which they travel can be affected by other factors, such as the curvature of space-time caused by large objects.