Does the focal length of a concave lens change in a different medium?

In summary, the question is whether the focal length of a concave lens changes when placed in a medium like water. The initial focal length of the lens in air is 20 cm. The individual believes that the focal length will increase in water due to the decrease in refraction and divergence of light rays in a more viscous medium. However, there is a need for further explanation on how this affects the image and the difference between concave and convex lenses.
Clyner791
My question is as follows:

Does the focal length of a concave lens change when put into a medium such as water?
Initially the focal length of the lens is 20 cm in air. Would it get larger or small in water?

Science news on Phys.org
Hi Clyner791! :wink:

Tell us what you think, and then we'll comment! :smile:

I think the focal length will get larger. My reason for thinking this is because light rays diverge less in a more viscous medium? (I.e. they refract less?).

Clyner791 said:
I think the focal length will get larger. My reason for thinking this is because light rays diverge less in a more viscous medium? (I.e. they refract less?).

you'll need to explain it a lot better than that …

where is the image? where do the rays go?

what difference does it make whether it's concave or convex?​

In air: an object is placed 50 cm from the lens (concave) with a focal length 20cm. This produces an image 33.33 cm from the lens (again in air)

So, what change (if any) will occur to the focal length of the lens

Related to Does the focal length of a concave lens change in a different medium?

1. Does the focal length of a concave lens change when placed in a different medium?

The focal length of a concave lens remains constant when placed in a different medium. This is because the curvature of the lens remains unchanged, and the focal length is determined by the curvature of the lens.

2. How does the refractive index of a medium affect the focal length of a concave lens?

The refractive index of a medium can affect the focal length of a concave lens. A higher refractive index will cause the light to bend more, resulting in a shorter focal length. A lower refractive index will cause less bending, resulting in a longer focal length.

3. Can the focal length of a concave lens be negative in a different medium?

Yes, the focal length of a concave lens can be negative in a different medium. This is because the focal length is defined as the distance from the lens to the point where parallel rays of light converge. In some cases, the light may diverge instead of converging, resulting in a negative focal length.

4. How does the size of the lens affect the change in focal length in a different medium?

The size of the lens does not affect the change in focal length when placed in a different medium. The curvature of the lens and the refractive index of the medium are the main factors that determine the change in focal length.

5. Does the shape of a concave lens affect the change in focal length in a different medium?

Yes, the shape of a concave lens can affect the change in focal length in a different medium. A more curved lens will cause a greater change in focal length compared to a less curved lens. However, the change in focal length will still be determined by the refractive index of the medium.