Does the Divergence Theorem Apply to Complex Vector Fields and Hemispheres?

In summary, the homework statement says to use the upper hemisphere of radius R for the vector field. The divergent theorem is used to verify the divergence for the vector field. The scale factors for spherical coordinate system are found using geometric arguments.
lazyluke

Homework Statement

2. Verify the divergence theorem for the vector field:
F =(r2cosθ) r +(r2cosφ) θ −(r2cosθsinφ) φ
using the upper hemisphere of radius R.

Homework Equations

Is this any close to be correct? The question marks indicate parts I am not sure about please help.

Anyone know what are the scale factors for spherical coordinate system, i cannot find them anywhere, i think the product of all of them is r^2sine(e) but I am not sure which ones are which (h1=h2=r, h3=sin(e)?pls help

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img522.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pictureop2.jpg
http://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture001yz9.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
h1 = 1, h2 = r, h3 = rsin(θ)

Thank you, how do you derive that do u know?... is there a general formula for all coordinate systems to egt the scalar factors?... i don't need it for this part but the other question...and is my solution any close to be correct? (link to the file at the bottom of the post)

Thanks to johnster08 as only he answered to my 1 out of 3posts...thnx guys, i don't think ill be here too aften...cya

Related to Does the Divergence Theorem Apply to Complex Vector Fields and Hemispheres?

1. What is the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem, also known as Gauss's Theorem, is a mathematical principle that relates the flow of a vector field through a closed surface to the behavior of the vector field within the enclosed volume. It is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus and has many practical applications in physics and engineering.

2. How is the Divergence Theorem used in physics?

The Divergence Theorem is used in physics to calculate the net flux or flow of a vector field through a closed surface. This can be applied to various physical phenomena, such as fluid flow, electric and magnetic fields, and heat transfer. It allows us to relate the behavior of a vector field within a region to its effects on the boundaries of that region.

3. What are the conditions for the Divergence Theorem to hold?

In order for the Divergence Theorem to hold, the vector field must be continuous and differentiable within the enclosed volume. Additionally, the closed surface must be smooth and orientable, meaning that a consistent normal direction can be assigned to each point on the surface.

4. Can the Divergence Theorem be applied to all vector fields?

No, the Divergence Theorem can only be applied to vector fields that satisfy the conditions mentioned above. In particular, the vector field must be "well-behaved" within the enclosed volume, meaning that it must not have any singularities or discontinuities that would make it non-differentiable.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Divergence Theorem?

Yes, there are many practical applications of the Divergence Theorem in fields such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer. For example, it can be used to calculate the flow of a fluid through a pipe or the electric flux through a closed surface surrounding a charged object. It is also used in the derivation of important equations, such as the Navier-Stokes equation and Maxwell's equations.