Does the color of a laser affect its velocity of the light wave projected by it?

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem on the effect of laser color on the velocity of light waves. The student shares their difficulty in solving the problem and their limited resources. The expert explains that the speed of light is constant regardless of wavelength, but the speed in different substances may vary depending on frequency. They also mention the formula for wavelength, frequency, and velocity.
Loneliheart

Homework Statement

Thought Project 7 Skill Level III Problem
Laser, which use light rays of set wavelengths (colors), are in constant use in our world, in everything from surgery to supermarket checkout scanners.
Execute the necessary research to determine whether the color of a laser affects the velocity of the light wave projected by the laser.
Remember to cite the sources you used.

Homework Equations

I do not have any equations. There was none give for this problem. But, skill level I and skill level II both us the distance=rate x Time formula. I might assume I will be using a variety of it again.

The Attempt at a Solution

I cannot attempt to solve the problem because I do not know the equation or even where to begin. When we did Thought Project 5 Colors I use this pdf file to help on a skill level problem and I not sure if it help on this problem and it does have some equation that I not sure if is the one I need. http://www.physics.uc.edu/~sitko/ReflectanceSpectroscopy.pdf"

I post help in the wrong area my second night on this forum. And now it will be too late for anyone to help. My assignment in due Monday night. August 2, 2011 I now it is against the rules but I need help more than a normal person for I suffer from a Written Expression Learning Disability.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
One of the basic ideas of modern physics is that the speed of light is constant, regardless of the wavelength. This should be easily found in any introductory physics textbook, even for non-science majors.

Thank you.

Are Strategies for Problem Solving Workbook is limited on information. I end up depending on Internet. Some question get no hits other give so much I do not know where to start. I personal only have one Pre-Algebra and one Algebra textbook. I have no Physics book. Which I did. Even the class workbook with a disc which also give me another Pre-Algebra book in pdf file format. I wish they had include a Physics book. Or ITT Tech campus only has a virtually library and extremely limit on any available books. I go check them and see if they have a physics book. I did see some science type magazines.

Indeed, the speed of any electro-magnetic wave, and all colors of light are electromagnetic wave, have the same speed in vacuum, in any frame of reference. However, the speed of light in air, water, glass, or other transparent substance is dependent on the frequency (which determines color).

the speed of light is the constant that allows the formula Wavelengthxfrequency= Velocity to work so well. If the wavelength lengthens the frequency must lessen proportionally. pretty cool IMO

thanks for the help

Related to Does the color of a laser affect its velocity of the light wave projected by it?

1. How does the color of a laser affect the velocity of the light wave projected?

The color of a laser does not affect the velocity of the light wave projected. The speed of light in a vacuum is constant and does not change based on the color of the light. However, the frequency and wavelength of the light may change, which can affect how the light interacts with different materials.

2. Is there a difference in the speed of light for different colors?

No, the speed of light remains constant regardless of the color. This is because the speed of light is determined by the properties of space and time, not by the color of the light itself.

3. Can a laser be used to travel faster than the speed of light?

No, it is not possible for any object, including light, to travel faster than the speed of light. This is a fundamental principle of physics known as the speed of light barrier.

4. Does the color of a laser affect its brightness or intensity?

Yes, the color of a laser does affect its brightness or intensity. This is because different colors have different wavelengths and frequencies, which can determine how the light is absorbed, transmitted, or reflected by different materials. Therefore, the perceived brightness or intensity of a laser may vary based on its color.

5. Can the color of a laser affect the accuracy of its measurements?

Yes, the color of a laser can affect the accuracy of its measurements. This is because different colors may have different levels of precision and sensitivity when interacting with different materials. For example, a green laser may be more accurate when measuring distances compared to a red laser due to its shorter wavelength and higher frequency.