Does the Brain Create the Mind or Does the Mind Create the Brain?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the brain and the mind. One person questions if the mind actually gives rise to the brain and if there is definitive proof that the brain creates the mind. The placebo effect is mentioned as evidence of the power of the mind on the body. The concept of personality changes after organ transplants is also brought up, with some scientists believing that the mind exists throughout the body, not just in the brain. The conversation ends with a discussion on the direction of neural information flow and the mainstream belief that the mind is equivalent to the brain and computer.
-RA-
I am aware that establishment opinion is that a persons mind forms as as a consequence of the brain. But i was wondering how do we know that for sure? could it be possible that the mind actually gives rise to the brain? as nueroscientists still do not know how the computer modeled brain actually forms our conscious awareness maybe that's why, because its actually the mind that governs the body, not the body that creates the mind.

Is it slightly possible that they have been looking at it the wrong way round, or is there definitve proof that brain creates mind, and not vice versa? i would think the placebo effect is evidence of the power of the mind on your body, but i can't think of other examples.

this might have a simple answer, its just a too specific question to ask a search engine!

Biology news on Phys.org
in what way does the placebo effect negate a brain-generated mind?
by convincing a brain that, say, it is sick, you might provoke it to release certain chemicals and begin certain reactions that affect the body. but you couldn't cure a person's cancer simply by telling them they have just taken an anti-cancer pill; the placebo effect is not magic. it's curious, and doctors are studying it to understand it better (and how to use it), but there's nothing mystical about it.

you can remove a person's hands, feet, heart, lungs, or any other organ, and they are still the same exact person. remove certain parts of a person's brain, and they are not.
if you remove certain parts of the brain, the associated sections of the "mind" stop functioning as well. if the mind was not generated by the brain, then frontal lobotomies would bear no consequence.

moe darklight said:
in what way does the placebo effect negate a brain-generated mind?

i never said that, i said that i thought it was the only small piece of evidence for direct mind - body relationship, instead of your typical body - mind relationship. Of course it does not negate a brain generated mind.
moe darklight said:
you can remove a person's hands, feet, heart, lungs, or any other organ, and they are still the same exact person.

a lot of people would dispute that. Gary E. Schwartz, Phd, would be the one that has done the most work into personality change after (especially) heart transplants, I'm aware of how controversial his findings were, but there are other scientists that agree with him. There is a lot of evidence peoples personalities do change after heart transplants. Dr. Candace Pert, a professor at Georgetown University, said she believes the mind is not just in the brain, but also exists throughout the body. This school of thought could explain such strange transplant experiences. There was a good documentary on this, http://www.naturalhistory.co.nz/cat/transpl_mem.html . So i don't think the possibility can be fully ruled out.
moe darklight said:
remove certain parts of a person's brain, and they are not.
if you remove certain parts of the brain, the associated sections of the "mind" stop functioning as well. if the mind was not generated by the brain, then frontal lobotomies would bear no consequence.
If the mind was creating the brain then removing a part of the brain would have an analogous effect, ie, the mind would not beable to tell the body what to do as the part of the brain there to transport this information it is not there.Maybe I'm not saying it right. Is there any way we can actually detect which way specific packets of neural information are travelling? if so which direction is predominant? mind - brain information, or brain - mind information? information must be going both ways.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to mainstream neuroscience, mind = brain = computer. There is no fundamental difference between your mind (brain) and your body, just like there is no fundamental difference between your liver and your body.

Related to Does the Brain Create the Mind or Does the Mind Create the Brain?

1. What is the difference between the mind and the brain?

The brain is a physical organ in the body that is responsible for controlling bodily functions and processing sensory information. The mind, on the other hand, refers to the intangible aspects of consciousness such as thoughts, emotions, and beliefs.

2. Which came first, the mind or the brain?

This is a highly debated question and there is no definitive answer. Some theories suggest that the brain evolved first and then gave rise to the mind, while others propose that the mind existed before the brain and shaped its development.

3. Can the mind exist without the brain?

This is a philosophical question that has no scientific evidence to support it. However, some philosophers and spiritual beliefs suggest that the mind can exist independently of the brain, while others argue that the mind is a product of brain activity.

4. How does the brain influence the mind?

The brain and the mind have a complex relationship where the brain's structure and functions can greatly impact the mind's thoughts, emotions, and behaviors. Different areas of the brain control various aspects of the mind, but the exact mechanisms are still not fully understood.

5. Can the mind change the brain?

Yes, the mind can change the brain through neuroplasticity, which is the brain's ability to reorganize and form new connections in response to learning, experiences, and thoughts. This is why practices like meditation and therapy can have a profound impact on brain structure and function.