Does the acceleration of a free falling object ever change?

In summary, the conversation discusses making a table of measurements for a free falling object and the confusion surrounding the acceleration values obtained from each trial. The speaker mentions the possibility of measuring the acceleration and the effects of air resistance on the measurements. They also express their confusion about the use of a constant value for acceleration instead of accounting for potential variations. The other speaker explains the importance of multiple measurements and the concept of experimental errors. They also encourage the other person to try the experiment themselves to gain a better understanding.
EricMatthew
Have to make a table of measurements, height-time-velocity-acceleration, taken from a free falling object and my professor asked for the acceleration of each trial which is leaving me very confused because I thought g = 9.8ms2 is constant. So I'm going to have to write a bunch of 9.8s or is there I'm overlooking.

Physics news on Phys.org
Presumably you are being asked to measure the acceleration. You're unlikely to get the same answer in each trial or measure exactly 9.8 m/s^2. Errors happen!

An object falling in air accelerates at something less than 1g due to air resistance .

For a heavy stone it doesn't make much difference but a light plastic football will accelerate at much less than 1g .

Also air resistance tends to increase with velocity so acceleration rate might decrease as object moves faster .

EricMatthew said:
Have to make a table of measurements, height-time-velocity-acceleration, taken from a free falling object and my professor asked for the acceleration of each trial which is leaving me very confused because I thought g = 9.8ms2 is constant. So I'm going to have to write a bunch of 9.8s or is there I'm overlooking.

Do you think that a feather, or a light styrofoam packing peanut will fall with the same acceleration as a lead fishing lure? Even if you measure the falls of a fishing lure several times, from different heights, for example, do you really thing you will get exactly 9.8 m/sec^2 each time?

Sorry, I should of mentioned air resistance is negligible for this particular lab or the actual acceleration is the main focus by rather that we become familiar with the applications and equations orbiting this subject.

I know a lot of programming so it just kind puts me off and leaves me a bit confused as to why to add something that is redundant...well, not sure if redudant is the right word but I can't really think of a synonym on how vexing this simple detail is. It just seemed to me that he was implying that g was changing despite it being a constant.

EricMatthew said:
It just seemed to me that he was implying that g was changing despite it being a constant.
Are you measuring the acceleration or simply assuming it?

In VI physics many years ago we did this experiment and eventually got results which were consistent within a few % . Average value of course was always less than 1g because air was certainly present .

The only actual things being measured is the time via sensors connected to a computer and the height. We're computing velocity manually just with the latter two measurements, height and time.

EricMatthew said:
The only actual things being measured is the time via sensors connected to a computer and the height. We're computing velocity manually just with the latter two measurements, height and time.
And then using those values to compute the acceleration. Right?

EricMatthew said:
Sorry, I should of mentioned air resistance is negligible for this particular lab or the actual acceleration is the main focus by rather that we become familiar with the applications and equations orbiting this subject.

I know a lot of programming so it just kind puts me off and leaves me a bit confused as to why to add something that is redundant...well, not sure if redudant is the right word but I can't really think of a synonym on how vexing this simple detail is. It just seemed to me that he was implying that g was changing despite it being a constant.

Making several independent measurements and taking the average (and, perhaps, performing a statistical error-analysis) is a cornerstone of an experimental science. Nobody has ever managed to make perfect measurements that are 100% accurate 100% of the time. Learning how to reduce experimental errors if possible, and to deal with them in any case, is basic to performing lab experiments in physics and other sciences.

Anyway: the best way of understanding how and why is to try it for yourself. That way you will see that it is not a useless, "busy-work" type of project.

Related to Does the acceleration of a free falling object ever change?

1. How does the acceleration of a free falling object change?

The acceleration of a free falling object does not change unless there is an external force acting on it. In a vacuum, the acceleration due to gravity is constant and the object will continue to fall at the same rate until it reaches terminal velocity.

2. What factors can cause the acceleration of a free falling object to change?

The acceleration of a free falling object can be affected by air resistance, which increases as the object's speed increases. Other factors such as wind and air density can also play a role in changing the acceleration of a free falling object.

3. Does the mass of a free falling object affect its acceleration?

No, the mass of a free falling object does not affect its acceleration. The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value, regardless of the mass of the object. This is demonstrated by the famous "Galileo's Leaning Tower of Pisa" experiment.

4. Can the acceleration of a free falling object ever be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of a free falling object can be negative if it is moving in the opposite direction of the gravitational force. For example, if an object is thrown upwards, the acceleration would be negative as it moves away from the Earth's center of gravity.

5. How does the height of a free falling object affect its acceleration?

The height of a free falling object does not affect its acceleration. The acceleration due to gravity remains constant regardless of the height at which the object is dropped. However, the object's speed and potential energy will change as it falls from a higher height.