Does \tan\frac{\theta}{2} equal \frac{\sin\theta}{1+\cos\theta}?

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to prove that \tan\frac{\theta}{2}=\frac{\sin\theta}{1+\cos\theta} by starting with \tan\frac{\theta}{2}=\frac{\sin\frac{\theta}{2}}{\cos\frac{\theta}{2}} and eventually using the identities \frac{1-\cos 2\theta}{\sin 2\theta} = \tan \theta and \frac{\sin\theta}{1+\cos\theta} = \frac{2\sin\frac{\theta}{2}\cos\frac{\theta}{2}}{2\cos^2\frac{\theta}{2}} = \frac{\sin\frac
bob1182006
This isn't a homework question, it's just for personal enrichment.

I've been trying to prove that [itex]\tan\frac{\theta}{2}=\frac{\sin\theta}{1+\cos\theta}[/itex]

I tried starting off with [tex]\tan\frac{\theta}{2}=\frac{\sin\frac{\theta}{2}}{\cos\frac{\theta}{2}}[/tex]

is this even the right way to start the proof? if so could someone point me the right way please? I'd really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
note that [tex]\tan\frac{\theta}{2}=\frac{\sin\theta}{1+\cos\theta}[/tex] is equivalent to:

[tex]\tan\frac{\theta}{2}=\frac{1-\cos \theta}{\sin \theta}[/tex]

We know that [tex]\frac{1-\cos 2\theta}{\sin 2\theta} = \tan \theta[/tex]

Can you go from there?

Last edited:
ah I see it now hehe thank you verry much.

[tex]\frac{\sin\theta}{1+\cos\theta} = \frac{2\sin\frac{\theta}{2}\cos\frac{\theta}{2}}{2\cos^2\frac{\theta}{2}} = \frac{\sin\frac{\theta}{2}}{\cos\frac{\theta}{2}} = \tan\frac{\theta}{2}[/tex]

Related to Does \tan\frac{\theta}{2} equal \frac{\sin\theta}{1+\cos\theta}?

What is the definition of a trigonometric identity?

A trigonometric identity is an equation involving trigonometric functions that holds true for all values of the variables involved.

How do you prove a trigonometric identity?

To prove a trigonometric identity, you must manipulate the given equations using basic trigonometric identities, such as the Pythagorean identities, sum and difference identities, and double angle identities.

What are the most commonly used trigonometric identities?

The most commonly used trigonometric identities include the Pythagorean identities, sum and difference identities, double angle identities, and half angle identities.

Why is it important to prove trigonometric identities?

Proving trigonometric identities is important for several reasons. It helps to develop a deeper understanding of trigonometric functions and their relationships, it allows for the simplification of complex expressions, and it is necessary for solving trigonometric equations and problems.

What are some tips for proving trigonometric identities?

Some tips for proving trigonometric identities include starting with the more complex side of the equation, using basic trigonometric identities to manipulate the equations, and transforming one side of the equation to match the other side.