Does Squaring Any Number Follow a Specific Pattern?

• Thread starter DaveDem
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teacher
In summary, the conversation discusses a math trick where if you take any base and square it, the answer is how many times two goes into the base multiplied by the base times two. This method was brought up by the math teacher, but the person talking came up with it themselves. It is explained that many math tricks use a similar method of hiding the multiplication by a factor and then canceling it out later. The conversation also references the famous rhyme about a man going to St. Ives and his multiple wives, and how it relates to the math trick. Finally, it is mentioned that it is important to be honest and not falsely attribute information to a teacher. Examples in different bases are given to illustrate the concept.
DaveDem
In math class my teacher said that if you take any base or A and square it that the answer is howmany times two goes into the base multiplied by the base times 2, does this always work?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
16 squared
16/2=8 16*2=32
32*8=256

500 squared
500/2=250 500*2=1000
250*1000=250000

13 squared
13/2=6.5 13*2=26
6.5*26=169

Have you tried it with other nunbers like 3, 5 or 7?

7x7=49

7/2=3.5

7*2=14

3.5 x 14 = 49

Like that?

Okay so basically you are dividing by two and then multiplying by two so the operations cancel out right?

yes exactly! i kinda came up with it but said it was my math teacher cause of the whole "if it doesn't come from someone with proof of knowledge we don't want to hear it" thing

Many of these math tricks work in a similar way by trying to hide the fact that you are multiplying by a factor early and then cancelling it out by dividing later on using valid math operations throughout the process.

For example in your case you could say to add the number to itself instead of using times two to hide that fact and people may be fooled at first.

Theres no need to preface questions with my math teacher said unless they really said it. Its best to be honest rather than impune the integrity of your teacher for the sake of an answer.

Related to Does Squaring Any Number Follow a Specific Pattern?

1. Was my math teacher always right in their explanations?

No, even the best teachers can make mistakes or have a different way of explaining a concept that may not work for everyone. It's important to seek clarification if something doesn't make sense to you.

2. How can I be sure that my math teacher's solutions are correct?

One way to verify your teacher's solutions is to check them against another credible source, such as a math textbook or reputable online resource. You can also ask your teacher for their reasoning behind the solution to better understand the process.

3. What if my math teacher's answer is different from mine, but we both used the same method?

It's possible that one of you made a mistake or used a different approach within the same method. It's important to double check your work and communicate with your teacher to find out where the discrepancy may be.

4. Should I question my math teacher's methods if I don't understand them?

Absolutely. It's important to have a solid understanding of the concepts and methods in math, so if something doesn't make sense to you, don't be afraid to ask for clarification or seek out additional resources.

5. How can I respectfully challenge my math teacher's answer or explanation?

Approach your teacher with a genuine curiosity and a desire to understand their reasoning. Ask specific questions and provide examples or counterarguments to support your challenge. It's important to have an open and respectful dialogue with your teacher.