Does someone know a good book about thermoelectricity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a good textbook on thermoelectricity and recommends two options: "Thermoelectricity: An Introduction to the Principles" by D.K.C. MacDonald and "Thermoelectric and Thermomagnetic Effects and Applications" by Harman and Honig. The conversation also mentions other resources such as old papers and the book "Physical Properties of Crystals" by Nye, which contains important information on thermoelectricity. However, the conversation concludes that there is still a need for an excellent textbook on the subject.
chrlundg
Hi everybody

I am new on the site, so please bear over me, if I posted this in the wrong forum.

I am looking for a good textbook in thermoelectricity. I am interested in the underlying physics and mathematics. Can anyone recommend a good one?

Best regards
Christian

1) Thermoelectricity: An Introduction to the Principles by D.K.C. MacDonald.
2) Thermoelectric and thermomagnetic effects and applications by Harman and Honig.

There are other, more recent textbooks. Some old papers are also a good resource. There are also books such as Physical properties of crystals by Nye which aren't focused on thermoelectricity but which nonetheless contain important information on thermoelectricity.

An extremely good textbook has yet to be written, in my opinion.

Related to Does someone know a good book about thermoelectricity?

1. What is thermoelectricity?

Thermoelectricity is the conversion of temperature differences into electric voltage and vice versa. This phenomenon is based on the Seebeck effect, where a temperature gradient between two different materials can produce an electric current.

2. Why is thermoelectricity important?

Thermoelectricity has many practical applications, such as power generation from waste heat, temperature sensing, and cooling devices. It also has potential for use in renewable energy sources and energy-efficient technologies.

3. How does one find a good book about thermoelectricity?

The best way to find a good book about thermoelectricity is to search for recommendations from experts in the field or by checking online reviews. Additionally, you can browse through academic journals and bookstores for titles related to thermoelectricity.

4. What are some recommended books about thermoelectricity?

Some highly recommended books about thermoelectricity include "Thermoelectric Materials: Advances and Applications" by G. Jeffrey Snyder and Eric S. Toberer, "Thermoelectricity: An Introduction to the Principles" by D.M. Rowe, and "Thermoelectricity: Science and Engineering" by G. Jeffrey Snyder and Thierry Caillat.

5. Are there any online resources for learning about thermoelectricity?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about thermoelectricity, such as websites, articles, and online courses. Some reputable sources include the Thermoelectric Energy Conversion (TEC) Center website, the American Chemical Society's Chemistry for Life website, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) OpenCourseWare on thermoelectricity.