Does slowing light with a BEC change any of its properties?

In summary, scientists have achieved the ability to slow light down to extremely low speeds using Bose-Einstein Condensates or without them. This is due to atoms absorbing and re-emitting photons, which lengthens the time it takes for light to travel through the substance. It is unclear whether this process changes the frequency or wavelength of the light while it is moving through or after it has fully passed through the BEC. However, it is possible that some of the light's energy is lost to the substance as heat, potentially altering its properties. A related article from 10 years ago discusses the incredible advancements in controlling and manipulating light.
AamsterC2
So I understand that scientists have been able to slow light to extremely low speeds using Bose-Einstein Condensates and even without them (https://physics.aps.org/story/v3/st37) and if I understand this correctly they slow light the same way water or air does; atoms absorb the photons and re-emit them which makes it take longer for the light to travel through the substance. My question is, does this process change the frequency or wavelength of the light while it is moving through, or after it has fully passed through the BEC? My assumption is that being slowed to such a degree in the condensate would possibly change some of the lights properties temporarily or that some amount of energy is lost to the substance as heat which would change the wavelength of the light

Likes ISamson
Physics news on Phys.org
ZapperZ said:
Read this from 10 years ago:

https://www.photonics.com/Article.aspx?AID=28520

Zz.
That just gives me a runtime error both on internet explorer and google chrome. Is the link correct?

AamsterC2 said:
That just gives me a runtime error both on internet explorer and google chrome. Is the link correct?

It works for me!

Zz.

Zz's link works on Firefox for me too.

ZapperZ said:
It works for me!

Zz.
Ok, it worked this time (not sure why it didn't at first). That article is absolutely amazing, I mean my mind is being blown right now whoa. And although the topic was slightly different I'm guessing from that the wavelength and frequency of the light when it comes out is the same as when it went it, the light itself is just a little weaker (unless that is only caused when the light is stored in the crystal)

1. What is a BEC and how does it slow down light?

A BEC stands for Bose-Einstein condensate, which is a state of matter where a large number of particles come together and act as one cohesive unit. When light passes through a BEC, it interacts with the particles and slows down due to the increased density and interactions with the particles.

2. Does slowing down light with a BEC change its frequency?

No, slowing down light with a BEC does not change its frequency. The frequency of light is determined by its source and the medium it passes through, not by its speed.

3. Can the properties of light be manipulated by using a BEC?

Yes, the properties of light can be manipulated by passing it through a BEC. This process is known as electromagnetically induced transparency (EIT) and can be used to control the propagation and absorption of light.

4. Are there any practical applications for slowing down light with a BEC?

Yes, there are several potential applications for this phenomenon. One example is in quantum computing, where slow light can be used to store and process information. It can also be used in high-precision measurements and telecommunications.

5. Are there any limitations to slowing down light with a BEC?

While this technique has many potential applications, there are also limitations to consider. One limitation is that it currently only works at very low temperatures, making it difficult to use in everyday applications. Additionally, the effects of slowing down light with a BEC are only noticeable at extremely low speeds, so it may not be practical for all scenarios.