Does Salt Water Affect the Weight of Displaced Water?

In summary, the question involves determining the weight of water displaced by a boat floating in salt water with a density of 1.10x10^3kg/m^3. However, it is simpler than initially thought as the weight of the water displaced will be equal to the weight of the boat, which was initially given as 35.6 KN, regardless of the type of liquid.
archied
hi all, I'm completely stuck on this question I've got no idea how to tackle it, I've looked back at previous examples and i don't know how this fits in with what I've see before.
heres the question

a boat floating in fresh water displaces water weighing 35.6kn

what is the weight of the water displaced if it were floating in salt water with a density of 1.10x10^3kg/m^3?

just something that came to mid could you work it out by going

(density of fresh water divided by water displaced)times(density of salt water)

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, it's much simpler than that! A boat (or other object) will sink down into water until it has displaced a weight of water equal to it's own weight (Archimede's principle). If the boat initially displaced 35.6 KN, then it weighs 35.6 KN and will displace that weight in ANY liquid.

(If the problem had given the VOLUME of fresh water displaced and then asked for the volume of saltwater displaced, then you would have to take the density into account.)

Hello,

I understand that you are stuck on this density and buoyancy question. It can be a bit tricky, but I will do my best to explain it to you.

First, let's review the concept of buoyancy. When an object is placed in a fluid, it displaces some of the fluid's volume. The weight of the displaced fluid is equal to the weight of the object, which is known as the buoyant force.

Now, let's apply this concept to the question. We know that the boat is floating in fresh water and displacing water weighing 35.6kn. This means that the weight of the boat is equal to the weight of the water it displaces, which is 35.6kn.

Next, we need to find the weight of the water displaced in salt water. We can use the formula for density, which is mass divided by volume. In this case, the mass is the weight of the water displaced and the volume is the volume of water displaced.

So, the weight of the water displaced in salt water can be calculated as follows:

Weight of water displaced in salt water = (density of salt water) x (volume of water displaced)

= (1.10x10^3 kg/m^3) x (volume of water displaced)

But, we know that the volume of water displaced is the same in both fresh water and salt water (because the boat is the same size and shape). So, we can rewrite the equation as:

Weight of water displaced in salt water = (1.10x10^3 kg/m^3) x (volume of water displaced in fresh water)

Now, we can substitute the value of the volume of water displaced in fresh water, which is 35.6kn, into the equation:

Weight of water displaced in salt water = (1.10x10^3 kg/m^3) x (35.6kn)

= 38.4kn

Therefore, the weight of the water displaced in salt water is 38.4kn. I hope this helps you understand the question better and how to approach it. Keep practicing and you will become more confident in solving these types of problems. Good luck!

Related to Does Salt Water Affect the Weight of Displaced Water?

1. What is the difference between density and buoyancy?

Density is a measure of how much matter is packed into a given volume, while buoyancy is a force that acts on an object in a fluid, pushing it up or down depending on its density compared to the fluid.

2. How do you calculate density?

Density is calculated by dividing the mass of an object by its volume. The formula is density = mass/volume. The unit for density is typically grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3) or kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3).

3. How does the density of an object affect its buoyancy?

The density of an object determines whether it will float or sink in a fluid. If the object's density is greater than the fluid's density, it will sink. If the object's density is less than the fluid's density, it will float.

4. Can an object with a higher density float on top of an object with a lower density?

No, an object with a higher density will always sink below an object with a lower density. This is because the fluid exerts a greater buoyant force on the less dense object, pushing it up and allowing it to float.

5. How does the density of a fluid affect buoyancy?

The density of a fluid plays a major role in determining an object's buoyancy. A fluid with a higher density will exert a greater upward force on an object, making it easier for it to float. A fluid with a lower density will exert less force, making it harder for the object to float.