Does Salicylic Acid Work by Hydrolyzing to its Active Form?

• Thread starter nymbler_064
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid
In summary, the conversation is about the mechanism of action of salicylic acid and the confusion surrounding its effects compared to aspirin. The individual is seeking clarification on whether salicylic acid is the active form of aspirin and how it works. They are also considering reevaluating their understanding of aspirin's mechanism of action.
nymbler_064
Hi guys, I just have a quick query about the mechanism of action of salicylic acid. I have tried in vain to find a solution elsewhere, but have not had any luck.

How exactly does salicyclic acid work. As far as I can tell, it doesn't have an acetyl group, which is how aspirin mediates its effects on COX. However, my research seem to suggest that this is the active form of aspirin (ie. Aspirin undergoes hydrolysis to salicylic acid prior to acetalysing COX). Is this true, and if so, how does it work?

Kind Regards.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
nymbler_064 said:
Hi guys, I just have a quick query about the mechanism of action of salicylic acid. I have tried in vain to find a solution elsewhere, but have not had any luck.

How exactly does salicyclic acid work. As far as I can tell, it doesn't have an acetyl group, which is how aspirin mediates its effects on COX. However, my research seem to suggest that this is the active form of aspirin (ie. Aspirin undergoes hydrolysis to salicylic acid prior to acetalysing COX). Is this true, and if so, how does it work?

Kind Regards.

You need to alter your understanding of aspirin's mechanism of action perhaps.

http://www.cas.org/newsevents/connections/salicylicacid.html

Thanks very much - It seems i need to reevaluate my understanding of its action.

Related to Does Salicylic Acid Work by Hydrolyzing to its Active Form?

1. What is the action of salicylic acid?

Salicylic acid is a compound that belongs to a class of chemicals called beta hydroxy acids. It is commonly used in skincare products for its ability to exfoliate the skin and treat a variety of skin conditions, such as acne and psoriasis.

2. How does salicylic acid work?

Salicylic acid works by breaking down the bonds between skin cells, allowing for easier exfoliation. It also has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, making it effective in treating acne.

3. What are the benefits of using salicylic acid?

Some of the benefits of using salicylic acid include reducing acne breakouts, improving skin texture and tone, and treating conditions like psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis. It can also help to unclog pores and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.

4. Are there any side effects of using salicylic acid?

Some common side effects of salicylic acid include dryness, irritation, and redness. It is important to follow the recommended usage and concentration of salicylic acid in skincare products to avoid these side effects. It is also not recommended for use on open wounds or broken skin.

5. Can anyone use salicylic acid?

Salicylic acid is generally safe for most individuals to use, but it is always recommended to consult with a dermatologist before incorporating it into your skincare routine. It may not be suitable for those with certain skin conditions or allergies. Pregnant or breastfeeding women should also consult with a doctor before using salicylic acid.