Does Resistance Truly Reach Zero at Absolute Zero?

In summary: I guess in a superconductor, if you provide a voltage source and a wire. The resistance heats the superconductor, it can carry even less current, and heats more, and you get a nice quench.
freefaller
I was wondering, since resistance decreases along with temperature for most metallic conductors (usually power function), in theory, if this conductor were to be at zero kelvin, would the resistance of this material also be precisely zero, or would it just be some extremely small value?
If it was zero ohms, then short circuiting an ideal voltage source with a wire in these conditions would create an infinite current, which i believe is physically impossible, and so we have yet another reason why absolute zero isn't achievable. However it doesn't rule it out theoretically.
Anyway, does anyone have any ideas on the matter?

Physics news on Phys.org
freefaller said:
I was wondering, since resistance decreases along with temperature for most metallic conductors (usually power function), in theory, if this conductor were to be at zero kelvin, would the resistance of this material also be precisely zero, or would it just be some extremely small value?
If it was zero ohms, then short circuiting an ideal voltage source with a wire in these conditions would create an infinite current, which i believe is physically impossible, and so we have yet another reason why absolute zero isn't achievable. However it doesn't rule it out theoretically.
Anyway, does anyone have any ideas on the matter?

Nothing gets to absolute zero, but when you get really close, it's my understanding that the resistance goes to zero because the mechanism that causes resistance goes away.

As for an idea power supply, there is no such thing so your statement is not meaningful.

I know those things are not possible, I was just speculating. There's no need to get heated.
Anyways thanks for replying. I took a little time to look more extensively and i found the following:
Even near absolute zero, a real sample of a normal conductor shows some resistance. In a superconductor, the resistance drops abruptly to zero when the material is cooled below its critical temperature.

But maybe you're right. What particular mechanism did you have in mind?

It is wrong to think that you will have an infinite current.
The wire could well have zero resistance (this is what superconductors are) but the wire will also have an inductance which (as far as I know) is not temperature dependant. The inductance determines the rate at which current will rise so the best you can say is that a wire with resistance = 0 but inductance = 10H (for the sake of argument) will be observed to have a current increasing at 1A/s when connected to
10V (e = Ldi/dt)

Even near absolute zero, a real sample of a normal conductor shows some resistance. In a superconductor, the resistance drops abruptly to zero when the material is cooled below its critical temperature.

Yes, that's correct. I SHOULD have said superconductors, not just any material.

To my considerably surprize, when I looked at superconductors briefly last year, I found that two of the best conductors I am aware of, copper and gold, are NOT superconductors near zero degrees.

It is wrong to think that you will have an infinite current.
The wire could well have zero resistance (this is what superconductors are) but the wire will also have an inductance

I asked an ECE phd student I recently met about this, and he told me that it would only impede the current from reaching an infinite amount if it were alternating. Probably though, for direct current, capacitance (I guess normal wires have tiny capacitance just as inductance?) would kick in having the same effect.

Ok, thank you for the replies, you've all been very helpful.

freefaller said:
I asked an ECE phd student I recently met about this, and he told me that it would only impede the current from reaching an infinite amount if it were alternating. Probably though, for direct current, capacitance (I guess normal wires have tiny capacitance just as inductance?) would kick in having the same effect.

Ok, thank you for the replies, you've all been very helpful.

Anyway, you can't SUPPLY infinite current, so whether or not it has that capacity is irrelevant from a practical point of view.

What would be the drift speed of this so called infinite current?

Anything you want it to be.

The statement

"If the current is infinite, the drift speed is X"

Is an absolutely true statement regardless of what X is because a false premise implies any result you like.

phinds said:
found that two of the best conductors I am aware of, copper and gold, are NOT superconductors near zero degrees.

You haven't heard of silver? :P

Superconductors have a maximal current density - try to enforce more current, and they will stop to be superconducting. The resistance heats the superconductor, it can carry even less current, and heats more, and you get a nice quench.

While the current is not infinite, it can stay circulating for (nearly) an infinite time in a superconducting circuit.

Related to Does Resistance Truly Reach Zero at Absolute Zero?

1. What is resistance at absolute zero?

Resistance at absolute zero is the theoretical measure of resistance in a material when it is at its lowest possible temperature of 0 Kelvin (or -273.15 degrees Celsius). At this temperature, the atoms in the material have minimal thermal energy and do not vibrate, resulting in zero resistance.

2. What happens to resistance at absolute zero?

At absolute zero, the resistance of most materials drops to zero. This is because electrons in the material are not able to move due to the lack of thermal energy, resulting in no collisions and no resistance.

3. Is it possible to reach absolute zero?

While absolute zero is considered the lowest possible temperature, it is not possible to reach it in reality. The laws of thermodynamics state that it is impossible to completely remove all heat energy from a material, meaning that there will always be some residual thermal energy and therefore some level of resistance.

4. Why is resistance at absolute zero important?

Resistance at absolute zero is important because it helps scientists understand the fundamental behavior of materials and their properties. It also plays a crucial role in superconductivity and allows for the creation of technologies such as MRI machines and particle accelerators.

5. Does resistance at absolute zero apply to all materials?

No, not all materials exhibit zero resistance at absolute zero. Some materials, such as superconductors, can maintain zero resistance even at higher temperatures. Other materials, such as insulators, will still have some level of resistance at absolute zero.