Does Repeated Particle Interactions Lead to Underestimating Energy Loss?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a distribution function to calculate the energy lost when a particle interacts. The assumption is that the distribution is the same for multiple interactions, but there is caution about this and the possibility of overestimating or underestimating the energy loss. It is suggested to integrate over the intermediate energy to obtain a more accurate calculation.
Ado
Hi !
I'm not sure to post my question in the right place so I'm sorry if I'm wrong...!
I have a particle associated with a certain spectrum in energy S (differential cross section).
When the particle interacts I use this distribution to have the energy lost.
Now, if my particle interacts 2 times, to have the distribution associated, I convolve 2 times my first distribution.
Am I wrong ?

Thanks in advance !

Likes amina ltam
Physics news on Phys.org
There are two random variables involved, energy loss first interaction, energy loss second interaction. Each of these has a distribution function. To get the distribution of the total energy loss, you can use the convolution of these distribution functions. Your assumption is that they are the same - are they?

Likes amina ltam
I wanted to confirm that I could apply this method in this situation.
Thanks for your reply !

I would be careful about using the same distribution. After the first interaction, the particle has less energy, so I would expect the energy loss distribution for the second interaction to be different..

Yes, I expect these calculations to overestimate the reality !

Thx!

Overestimate in which way? Energy loss for lower-energetic particles can be larger, then you underestimate the energy loss.

For each final energy, you can integrate over the intermediate energy to get the probability of this final energy. That is the mathematically sound approach - simplifications might work depending on the situation.

Yes, in this sense, we underestimate the energy loss.
Thanks for all your answers!

Related to Does Repeated Particle Interactions Lead to Underestimating Energy Loss?

1. What is the difference between interaction and probability?

Interaction refers to the effect that one variable has on another variable, while probability is the likelihood of a particular event occurring. In simpler terms, interaction focuses on how variables interact with each other, while probability focuses on the likelihood of a specific outcome.

2. How are interaction and probability related?

Interaction and probability are related in that the relationship between variables can affect the likelihood of a certain outcome. For example, if two variables have a strong interaction, it can increase the probability of a certain event occurring.

3. Can interaction affect probability?

Yes, interaction can affect probability. Depending on the strength and direction of the interaction between variables, it can either increase or decrease the probability of a certain outcome. This is why it is important to consider interaction when analyzing probabilities.

4. How do scientists measure interaction and probability?

There are various statistical methods used to measure interaction and probability, such as regression analysis, correlation analysis, and chi-square tests. These methods help to identify the strength and significance of the relationship between variables and the likelihood of a certain outcome.

5. Why is it important to understand interaction and probability in scientific research?

Understanding interaction and probability is crucial in scientific research because it allows us to accurately analyze and interpret data. By considering the interaction between variables and the probability of certain outcomes, we can better understand the underlying relationships and make more informed conclusions.