Does refraction only happen wih light rays?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of refraction in waves and whether it applies to other types of waves besides light. The request for a simple yes or no answer is also mentioned. The conversation also suggests that more effort is needed and if this is for schoolwork, it should be posted in the appropriate forum with the necessary information.
StrawberryElf
Or does it happen wib other types of wave too? Just a simple answer please - with a clear YES or No.

Thanks in advance ☺

Physics news on Phys.org
StrawberryElf said:
Or does it happen wib other types of wave too? Just a simple answer please - with a clear YES or No.

Thanks in advance ☺
What do you think? Can you think of examples of other types of waves that would undergo refraction?

Also, is this question for your schoolwork?

StrawberryElf said:
Just a simple answer please - with a clear YES or No.
YES or No :smile:

berkeman said:
YES or No :smile:
You got me there :')
Let me correct myself:
answer with either Yes or No - but the correct one please ☺

StrawberryElf said:
You got me there :')
Let me correct myself:
answer with either Yes or No - but the correct one please ☺
LOL. You didn't answer my questions yet. We don't just give answers to questions like this here. First, you need to show some effort, and if this is for scholwork, it needs to be posted in the Homework Help forums, and you need to fill out the HH Template showing your work. :smile:

Related to Does refraction only happen wih light rays?

1. Does refraction only occur with light?

No, refraction can occur with any type of wave, including sound waves, water waves, and radio waves. Any time a wave passes through a medium with a different density, its speed and direction can be affected, causing refraction.

2. What causes refraction?

Refraction occurs when a wave passes from one medium to another with a different density, causing the wave to change speed and direction. This change in speed and direction is due to a change in the wave's wavelength.

3. Does refraction always bend light towards the denser medium?

No, refraction can cause light to bend towards or away from the normal line, depending on the relative densities of the two mediums. When light passes from a less dense medium to a more dense medium, it will bend towards the normal line. When it passes from a more dense medium to a less dense medium, it will bend away from the normal line.

4. Can refraction be observed in everyday life?

Yes, refraction is a common occurrence in everyday life. It can be observed when placing a straw in a glass of water, when looking at objects through a curved glass lens, or when light passes through a prism, just to name a few examples.

5. How is refraction used in scientific research?

Refraction is used in many scientific fields, including optics, geology, and meteorology. It is a fundamental concept in the study of light, and is used to create lenses, prisms, and other optical instruments. In geology, refraction is used to study the structure of the Earth's layers. In meteorology, it is used to understand the bending of light in the atmosphere, which affects the appearance of objects in the sky such as rainbows and mirages.