Does QCD make sense without a cutoff?

• A
  • Thread starter Demystifier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qcd
In summary: It is also not a covariant procedure, and to really make it rigorous one has to use the theory of distributions, which is not quite trivial here. So in the end you have to show that you get a unique, covariant result when you go to the physical dimensions. This is usually done by using a so-called gauge-invariant identity that allows you to get rid of the stuff that does not survive when you take the limit to the physical dimensions.
PeterDonis said:
However, that split also clarified what the regular QM forum is for: it's for discussions that fall within the 7 basic rules of QM, the Insights article which you authored.

The present thread, at least based on its title and stated topic in the OP, does not fall within those guidelines.
Not only @Demystifier, @vanhees71, and me (the main contributors to this thread), but also several former mentors (@George Jones, @Vanadium 50) are sceptical about your decision; perhaps confer with them and reconsider your point of view.

I don't see the slightest hint that would suggest that the title or any post in this thread is outside the 7 basic rules of QM. To ask whether some technical modeling assumption in QFT makes sense does not call these guidelines into question.

It is like asking in the relativity section whether assuming slight violation of Lorentz invariance or a discrete spacetime make sense. While outside the mainstream, these are legitimate questions discussed in the published refereed literature. Of course it is only a matter of opinion whether one answers yes or no, but the justification of the answer and discussion of work done on it involves nontrivial issues of interest.

The same holds for the question about how to get a relativistic QFT from an underlying nonrelativistic QFT by a scaling limit. What is discussed in the present thread is closely related to this.

Last edited:
Likes Spinnor, Demystifier, vanhees71 and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
A. Neumaier said:
Not only @Demystifier, @vanhees71, and me (the contributors to this thread), but also several former mentors (@George Jones, @Vanadium 50) are sceptical about your decision; perhaps confer with them and reconsider your point of view.

The reason I believe it should remain in Interpretations is that otherwise @vanhees71's priceless post #10 would be deleted :oldtongue:

• Haha
Likes Demystifier and vanhees71
Thread closed for moderation.

The moderators have reviewed this thread and determined that it should stay in the interpretations and foundations forum. Note that "foundations" is part of the forum's title, and the discussion in this thread, in the opinion of the moderators, qualifies as a "foundations" discussion.

For now the thread will remain closed; if any participants have further posts they would like to make, feel free to PM me to request that it be reopened.

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy