Does plucking one point on the string really can cause standing wave?

In summary, plucking one point on a string can create a standing wave. The standing wave is formed due to the interference of the incident and reflected waves, causing certain points on the string to appear stationary while others vibrate. This phenomenon can be observed in various musical instruments, such as guitars and violins, and is an important concept in understanding the behavior of waves.
Jackson Lee
I was teaching myself standing wave's chapter. It is said in the book that when plucking in the center of the string, it will cause two traveling waves of different directions, one left, one right. Then both of them will reach ends of string and invert back. Before they encounter at the center, they will form standing waves at left part and right part. However, if we combine them into a complete image, it is different from normal standing wave pattern. What's more, it seems that the problem will continue because it is just like a cycle, the left part and right part always appear to be symmetrical instead like normal standing wave. (I have attached a detailed process from 0-2T.) Anyone could help me?

Attachments

• 20140830467.jpg
    20140830467.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 472
Physics news on Phys.org
In your diagrams, because the center point where you pluck the string doesn't seem to move. If you try the experiment with a real string, or an elastic band, that isn't correct.

This is an animation of a string that you can "pluck" at any point along the length by clicking the mouse.
http://www.falstad.com/loadedstring/

AlephZero said:
In your diagrams, because the center point where you pluck the string doesn't seem to move. If you try the experiment with a real string, or an elastic band, that isn't correct.

This is an animation of a string that you can "pluck" at any point along the length by clicking the mouse.
http://www.falstad.com/loadedstring/

The center point remaining constant is because I only chose some specific time point, such as T/2,T,3T/2 and 2T. At that time, the center point has returned to zero, however it has moved within these points(or there won't be any traveling waves). In addition to this, when plucking one point on the string, there are many harmonics, I selected fourth harmonics as an example. If I chose the fundamental frequency, it will wiggle up and down as the string in animation. But the problem is at phase, if we try to wiggle one point, two traveling waves must be out of phase. Therefore, two corresponding reflected waves will be out of phase too. I think this lead to strange effect compared with normal standing wave pattern

This looks very interesting.. just take a look.. maybe what u have been thikning about

Its a combination of a lot of harmonics together..

Last edited by a moderator:
maheshshenoy said:
This looks very interesting.. just take a look.. maybe what u have been thikning about

Its a combination of a lot of harmonics together..

I have seen that animation, it is fantastic. Thanks. But I don't know its relation with my question. I found another animation here.
http://www.acs.psu.edu/drussell/Demos/SWR/SWR.html.
Pay you attention to the two standing waves. The first one is formed by two waves out of phase. The second one is formed by two in phase. And we can find the nodes and antinodes of these two are different. It is that what I want to say, after the two reflected waves encounter at the center point, it seems that antinodes and nodes of standing waves might change.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INqfM1kdfUc&list=PLE35BD0AB93E47FB6
What's more, I noticed that it is only part of string have standing wave pattern, and the rest of them are traveling wave. And some of them could transfer between standing wave and traveling wave. I feel really shocked by these.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Does plucking one point on the string really can cause standing wave?

1. Does plucking one point on the string really cause standing waves?

Yes, plucking one point on a string can cause standing waves to form. This is because when the string is plucked, it vibrates at a specific frequency, which creates a disturbance in the surrounding air molecules. These disturbances reflect back and forth between the two fixed ends of the string, creating a standing wave pattern.

2. What factors affect the formation of standing waves on a string?

The formation of standing waves on a string is affected by several factors, including the tension of the string, the length of the string, and the density of the string. These factors determine the natural frequency of the string, which is the frequency at which standing waves will form.

3. Can standing waves be formed on any type of string?

Standing waves can be formed on any type of string, as long as the string is under tension and has fixed ends. This includes strings made of various materials such as nylon, steel, and gut.

4. How do standing waves on a string relate to musical notes?

The standing waves on a string correspond to the frequencies of musical notes. When the string is plucked, it vibrates at a specific frequency, which determines the pitch of the note produced. By adjusting the length and tension of the string, different notes can be produced.

5. Can standing waves on a string be used for practical applications?

Yes, standing waves on a string have several practical applications. They are used in musical instruments such as guitars and pianos to produce different notes. They are also used in engineering and physics experiments to study the properties of waves and vibrations. Additionally, standing waves on strings are used in medical imaging techniques such as ultrasound.