Does optical switch have another name?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of optical switches, which are controlled by light and can be used in optoelectronics for physics majors. The speaker is trying to understand how they work and mentions sources such as articles and a website for further information. They also bring up the use of nonlinear materials and the Kerr effect in these switches. The conversation ends with the speaker expressing confusion and suggesting that these topics should be taught at a graduate level.
NewtonApple
I need to know about optical switch for my optoelectronics course for physics majors. So far I only know its a switch which is controlled by light. I tried to search net but couldn't find any thing. Is optical switch have another name?

Science news on Phys.org
I'm trying to understand all optical switch from

http://www.phy.duke.edu/~qelectron/proj/switch/intro.php

in this page they mentioned,

As a first example, we illustrate the behavior of our switch, shown to the right. In this device, a single beam of light (blue) is emitted from a nonlinear material and exits in a certain direction. This is one of the two states of the switch; let's call it the "off" state. The switch is turned to the "on" state, when a second light beam, the switching beam (red), is injected into the nonlinear optical material. As a result, the output beam (blue) is emitted in a different direction.

I'm confused about nonlinear material and from where that blue light came? don't we need some kind of photon bombardment . . .

For example, in this paper the Kerr effect is used:
http://www.ipap.jp/proc/books2/pdf/books2_293f.pdf

Most nonlinear effects are intensity dependent.

Last edited by a moderator:
can't open the link :(

I'm an undergrad student - if optical switch suppose to be this difficult then it should be taught at graduate level.

UltrafastPED

try again the link won't open for me either

Dave

Related to Does optical switch have another name?

What is an optical switch?

An optical switch is a device that enables the routing of optical signals in a network. It allows for the redirection of optical signals from one path to another, similar to how an electronic switch works for electrical signals.

What are the benefits of using an optical switch?

Using an optical switch can provide several benefits, including increased bandwidth, faster data transmission, and lower power consumption compared to traditional electronic switches.

Does an optical switch have a different name?

Yes, an optical switch is also commonly referred to as an optical cross-connect, photonic switch, or all-optical switch.

How does an optical switch work?

Optical switches use techniques such as micro-electromechanical systems (MEMS), liquid crystals, or semiconductor materials to redirect incoming optical signals to the desired output port.

What are the applications of an optical switch?

Optical switches are used in various applications, including telecommunications, data centers, and high-speed internet connections. They are also used in scientific research and experimentation.