Does Material Type Affect Double Slit Interference Patterns?

In summary, the interference patterns created by the double slit experiment are caused by the restrictions on the possible paths that light can take when traveling from the source to the screen. The choice of material and surface tension do not affect the interference patterns. Richard Feynman's book QED is a recommended resource to understand this phenomenon. There is no significant difference in interference patterns when using different materials. Wave-particle duality is an outdated concept and trying to compare it to liquid waves is not accurate. Common language and words like "waves" are often used as shorthand to describe quantum phenomena, but they do not fully explain the underlying theory.
hsdrop
Does it matter what the slits are made of? Do different kinds of matter make difference interference patterns on the wall? Also I know, part of that cause waves in the water is the surface tension. Does some kind of surface tension come into play with the double slit experiment waves of interference patterns?

thank you ahead of time for answering :bow:

Physics news on Phys.org
The interference is caused by the restrictions on the possible paths that light can take when going from the source to the screen. Essentially, the light "samples" all possible paths it can take to reach a certain point on the screen. How these paths interfere with each other determines the chance the light will reach that point. So the choice of material doesn't matter and surface tension isn't an issue. I would highly recommend Richard Feynman's book QED to understand what is taking place. It's relatively cheap and easy to understand. It also has almost no math.

Roger Dodger said:
The interference is caused by the restrictions on the possible paths that light can take when going from the source to the screen. Essentially, the light "samples" all possible paths it can take to reach a certain point on the screen.
Ok I get that is what's going on with the light waves or what ever els one would be shooting through the slits. I'm just questing if anyone had tried different materials to see if there was a difference. I also was wondering what kind of an emitter and how strite does the emitter shoot at the slits?

hsdrop said:
Ok I get that is what's going on with the light waves or what ever els one would be shooting through the slits. I'm just questing if anyone had tried different materials to see if there was a difference. I also was wondering what kind of an emitter and how strite does the emitter shoot at the slits?

There's no theoretical reason it would make a contribution worth studying. And if anyone had studied that, it would not be worth much to report as a null result.

Things like the shape and incident angle would alter the shape/positioning of the resulting pattern.

Likes bhobba
DrChinese said:
There's no theoretical reason it would make a contribution worth studying. And if anyone had studied that, it would not be worth much to report as a null result.

Things like the shape and incident angle would alter the shape/positioning of the resulting pattern.

hmmmm ok I'm just trying to figure out the similarities between partial waves and liquid waves if there is any beside the general shape. I'm still left wondering if there is any kind of surface tension like action in the partial waves that can be noticed?

I just wanted to say thank you again for taking the time to answer my questions, for me without asking thing like this I could not learn about the world around us.:confused:

hsdrop said:
hmmmm ok I'm just trying to figure out the similarities between partial waves and liquid waves if there is any beside the general shape. I'm still left wondering if there is any kind of surface tension like action in the partial waves that can be noticed?

I just wanted to say thank you again for taking the time to answer my questions, for me without asking thing like this I could not learn about the world around us.:confused:

what are "partial waves" ?

Thejas15101998 said:
what are "partial waves" ?
If you're wondering what in referring to look up wave-particle duality. As for my other questions, I really would appreciate so kind of answers. If I'm asking questions that have not been asked before (which I'm almost sure that I am not the first) where can I find the answers then?

hsdrop said:
hmmmm ok I'm just trying to figure out the similarities between [partial] waves and liquid waves if there is any beside the general shape. I'm still left wondering if there is any kind of surface tension like action in the partial waves that can be noticed?

Problem is, there are *some* similarities between light quanta (photons) and liquid waves. However, there are *critical* differences that ultimately render your line of reasoning incorrect. What happens to water waves has no actual bearing on photons, which are covered by completely different theory. There is no such observable thing as "half a photon", for example.

If you are not getting answers, part of the reason is that common language - words such as "waves" - are inadequate to fully explain the situation. It is very common to confuse the common meaning of words describing quantum phenomena with the underlying theory. They are often intended as "shorthand" more than anything. I can describe wave particle duality in terms of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, but that probably wouldn't help much. That is partially why wave particle duality is outmoded as a term, as has been mentioned.

Likes hsdrop
DrChinese said:
Problem is, there are *some* similarities between light quanta (photons) and liquid waves. However, there are *critical* differences that ultimately render your line of reasoning incorrect. What happens to water waves has no actual bearing on photons, which are covered by completely different theory. There is no such observable thing as "half a photon", for example.

If you are not getting answers, part of the reason is that common language - words such as "waves" - are inadequate to fully explain the situation. It is very common to confuse the common meaning of words describing quantum phenomena with the underlying theory. They are often intended as "shorthand" more than anything. I can describe wave particle duality in terms of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, but that probably wouldn't help much. That is partially why wave particle duality is outmoded as a term, as has been mentioned.
I'm sorry for using common words. I have a great difficulty with spelling and grammar when it comes to writing. I tend to shy away from the harder words to spell like "phenomena" so I will try to be more descriptive in my questions.

I know what the Heisenberg uncertainty principle is so you don't have to explain that one. I have bin reading up on the double slit experiment and other experiments that branch off or add to the original double slit experiment. Like the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment. I have noticed that the focus of everyone's attention is eather on the screen or detectors (which I understand why). No one seems to explain what the emitter is or how straight it shoots out particles. I also have some questions about the slit that have been used as well but I'll just ask one question at a time.

As a small data point, I've done interference and/or diffraction in undergraduate optics labs using slits cut in metal, cardboard, and (I think) plastic, with no unexpected results.

Likes hsdrop
hsdrop said:
No one seems to explain what the emitter is or how straight it shoots out particles.

Most experimental write-ups explain that. Keep in mind that a double slit source must be coherent. You get that with a point-like source or a laser beam. What is it more specifically that you want to know?

weirdoguy said:
Which is an outdated concept for nearly 100 years... This post may help: Double slit experiment -- consciousness and information

It's confusing to read certain things here and contradictory things elsewhere. It's been stated here that the concept of wave particle duality has been outdated for nearly 100 years but a quick search seems to suggest otherwise and that the concept is alive and kicking. In just a few minutes search I found reference to the duality of C60 molecules in a Nature Letter and numerous other references to duality from places which include The American Physical Society, Phys.org, University of Bristol,, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne. The list goes on.

Dadface said:
It's confusing to read certain things here and contradictory things elsewhere. It's been stated here that the concept of wave particle duality has been outdated for nearly 100 years but a quick search seems to suggest otherwise and that the concept is alive and kicking. In just a few minutes search I found reference to the duality of C60 molecules in a Nature Letter and numerous other references to duality from places which include The American Physical Society, Phys.org, University of Bristol,, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne. The list goes on.

It is still used as shorthand, you are correct. A lot of the folks here have discarded it as unnecessary (which it technically is). It can be useful as an analogy just like many concepts are. However, if you take it too far, the analogy fails. So if it works for you in a particular situation, use it.

The duality is that only one or the other of 2 non-commuting observables can be well-defined. And depending on which, it can exhibit different behavior.

Likes hsdrop and Dadface
DrChinese said:
It is still used as shorthand, you are correct. A lot of the folks here have discarded it as unnecessary (which it technically is). It can be useful as an analogy just like many concepts are. However, if you take it too far, the analogy fails. So if it works for you in a particular situation, use it.

The duality is that only one or the other of 2 non-commuting observables can be well-defined. And depending on which, it can exhibit different behavior.
Thank you for your clarification Dr Chinese. That's the way I considered duality to be.

jtbell said:
As a small data point, I've done interference and/or diffraction in undergraduate optics labs using slits cut in metal, cardboard, and (I think) plastic, with no unexpected results.

Thank you for your input and for the info, I'm sure that if anyone was looking to see if there was a difference or not, nothing looked out of place. The reasons I'm asking, I can't find anywhere that anyone has ever compared it or not. I want to get the most accurate image in my head of the experiment, and what happens in it. One last thing about the emitter, just to make sure that I have it right. Parallels of projectiles fired at 2 slits, and the parallel projectiles have to span the length of both out side edges of the slits?

I happy to sketch something up if no one understands what I'm asking

Related to Does Material Type Affect Double Slit Interference Patterns?

1. What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a famous physics experiment that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two narrow slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen. This experiment has also been used to study the behavior of other particles, such as electrons.

2. What does the double slit experiment prove?

The double slit experiment proves that light and other particles can behave as both waves and particles. This means that they have properties of both waves and particles, and their behavior is dependent on how they are observed or measured.

3. How does the double slit experiment relate to quantum mechanics?

The double slit experiment is a fundamental demonstration of quantum mechanics, as it shows the strange behavior of particles at the quantum level. It also supports the idea that particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously, known as superposition, until they are observed or measured.

4. What are the practical applications of the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment has many practical applications, including in the fields of optics, electronics, and computing. It has also been used to develop technologies such as holography and advanced imaging techniques.

5. Are there any variations of the double slit experiment?

Yes, there are several variations of the double slit experiment, such as the single photon double slit experiment, which uses individual photons instead of a continuous beam of light. There are also variations that involve using other types of particles, such as electrons or even larger molecules.