Does mass affect the period of a pendulum attached to an elastic string?

In summary, the period of two objects connected by a string of length 11 cm, with the same mass and not affected by the mass, can be calculated using the formula for the period of a simple pendulum. However, if the string is elastic and stretches, the actual length of the string must be known in order to find the period accurately. The equation of motion for a simple pendulum can be derived by drawing a free body diagram and using the formula T = 2π√(l/g). This shows that the period is directly proportional to the square root of the length and inversely proportional to the square root of the acceleration due to gravity.
lphalo
if if we have a string and a object with mass m connected to it , it does extend for 11 cm (string) . if we put another object with the same mass m , what will be the period of that ( of the 2 objects in the string) . please explain does mass affect the period ?
thnx

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Can you derive the formula for the period of a simple pendulum? Draw a free body diagram of a weight on a string not quite in the vertical position. Write the equation of motion. What can you conclude from the equation you derive?

LawrenceC said:
Hint: Can you derive the formula for the period of a simple pendulum? Draw a free body diagram of a weight on a string not quite in the vertical position. Write the equation of motion. What can you conclude from the equation you derive?

i cannot derive , cause we didnt learn it , in one conclusion that i made it 'is 2 times more than the first' but i do not have a idea if its true and even if its true is my equation right :S

LawrenceC said:

wait , even if we didnt learn this part i saw that for a string the T is 2pi square root of l /square root of g , it doesn't affect,, hmm but what must i do to find the period , i only have the increased'' length of 11cm and not the actual length before that

Is the string elastic and stretches? I'm not sure I gather that from the problem statement.

Related to Does mass affect the period of a pendulum attached to an elastic string?

1. What is the formula for finding the period of a pendulum?

The formula for finding the period of a pendulum is T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period in seconds, L is the length of the pendulum in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity in m/s^2.

2. How does the length of the pendulum affect its period?

The length of the pendulum directly affects its period. As the length of the pendulum increases, the period also increases. This is because the longer pendulum has a longer distance to travel, resulting in a longer period.

3. What factors can affect the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum can be affected by several factors, including the length of the pendulum, the mass of the pendulum, and the amplitude of the pendulum's swing. Other factors that can impact the period include air resistance, temperature, and the force of gravity.

4. How do you measure the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum can be measured by timing the number of swings it makes in a given amount of time, usually one minute. The average time for one swing can then be calculated to determine the period.

5. Can the period of a pendulum be changed?

Yes, the period of a pendulum can be changed by altering the length, mass, or amplitude of the pendulum. External factors such as air resistance and temperature can also affect the period. Additionally, the force of gravity can be changed by changing the location of the pendulum, which will also impact the period.