Does Mass Affect Roller Coaster Speed?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the relationship between mass and velocity in a roller coaster. The speaker believes that when the mass increases, the speed of the coaster does not change, based on research and simulations. They also mention the conservation of energy equation and how it relates to the increase in mass. However, they are unsure and confused about the concept and refer to a website for more information. Ultimately, the question is raised if the mass and speed of a roller coaster should remain constant regardless of any changes.
shimmeringlight
i know and think that the when the mass inreases, the speed of the coaster does not change... this is according to researching on some sites simulators... it hinkt that's right...

and because the speed esont change, the time doesn't change?

but when i think about it more, I am nto sure because i cannot prove it with the conservation of energy equation... or at least i don't think I am right, because if the i put it into the equation where you have the Ek=1/2mv^2, then when mass gets larger, then the energy will get larger...

i don't know what I am talking about, I am very confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
i know and think that the when the mass inreases, the speed of the coaster does not change
Unless there is a net force acting on it.
Normally, in a frame without any net force, the momentum of an object is conserved all the time.
momentum=mass times velocity
As you see, if the mass increase, the velocity decreases as they are inversely proportional.

http://www.funderstanding.com/k12/coaster/

i was looking at this site, and kind of based it on it... because when i move the mass thing it doesn't change the velocity... but i also know that you can adjust the speed.

... but in a roller coaster, if the mass increases or decreases in a roller coaster, isn't it suppose to go the same?

Related to Does Mass Affect Roller Coaster Speed?

1. How does mass affect the speed of a roller coaster?

The mass of a roller coaster affects its speed through its inertia. The more massive the roller coaster, the greater its inertia, and the more force is needed to accelerate it. This means that a roller coaster with a larger mass will have a slower speed compared to a roller coaster with a smaller mass.

2. Is there an ideal mass for a roller coaster to achieve maximum speed?

Yes, there is an ideal mass for a roller coaster to achieve maximum speed. This ideal mass is known as the "sweet spot" and is determined by the design and layout of the roller coaster. Roller coaster engineers consider various factors, such as the height and length of the track, to determine the ideal mass for optimal speed.

3. How does the mass of the riders impact the speed of a roller coaster?

The mass of the riders does have an impact on the speed of a roller coaster. The combined mass of the riders adds to the total mass of the roller coaster, which means more force is needed to accelerate it. This can result in a slightly slower speed compared to when the roller coaster is empty.

4. Can changing the mass of a roller coaster affect its safety?

Yes, changing the mass of a roller coaster can affect its safety. A roller coaster with a larger mass will have more inertia, which means it will require more force to slow down or stop. If the roller coaster has a smaller mass, it will have less inertia and can be stopped more easily. This can affect the safety of the riders, as a roller coaster with a larger mass may take longer to stop in case of an emergency.

5. Does the mass of the roller coaster affect its energy usage?

Yes, the mass of a roller coaster can affect its energy usage. A roller coaster with a larger mass will require more energy to accelerate and maintain its speed compared to a roller coaster with a smaller mass. This can impact the overall energy consumption and cost of operating the roller coaster.