Does light have 2 electric field components?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of birefringence and how it affects the propagation of light in anisotropic materials. The question is posed whether light has two perpendicular components of electric field, and the answer is yes. This can be visualized by decomposing the electric field into two components at 45 degree angles, and imagining two waves propagating simultaneously with different speeds. However, this is just a model and the original wave is distorted due to the anisotropy of the medium. Analogies are used to explain this concept further.
rwooduk
Hi, we are currently working on Huygens constructions and I'm having trouble visualising it. I understand that, say if a light wave is incident upon an anisotropic material that if you consider it's electric field going perperdicular in one direction it will be refracted differently than if you consider it's electric field perpendicular in another direction (due to the refractive index of the material effecting each perpendicular componant differently.)

My question is does light have 2 perpendicular components of electric field? so you would effectively have 2 beams going through the material at different speeds, due to one perpendicular componant of light being refracted more than the other? Or would you consider each perpendicular componant seperately (i.e. it only has one at any time)?

Getting a bit lost with this!

Please see attached images, the dotted line is for one componant, the plane wave line is for the other perpendicular componant.

How do I visualise this?

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 608
  • Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 536
Physics news on Phys.org
rwooduk said:
My question is does light have 2 perpendicular components of electric field? so you would effectively have 2 beams going through the material at different speeds, due to one perpendicular componant of light being refracted more than the other?

Yes. You can use this to separate a single beam into two perpendicularly-polarized beams. See the images here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birefringence

Likes rwooduk
jtbell said:
Yes. You can use this to separate a single beam into two perpendicularly-polarized beams. See the images here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birefringence
Thanks for the answer, but how would you visualise this? So the standard image (show below) is not correct?

light_magnetic.jpg

Maybe I'm confusing things, I'm trying to visualise a beam of light that has two perpendicular electric field componants, and i cant. I looked at the images on the wiki page, but where's the magnetic field?

Any vector can be decomposed into two perpendicular components. Like when you decompose the weight of a body into normal and tangential components on an inclined plane. It does not mean that the body has two weights, does it?
In the image the electric field is horizontal. You could decompose it into two components at 45 degree angles from horizontal (above and below horizontal plane). It's not an unique decomposition, for sure. Just an example. Then you can imagine two waves with propagating simultaneously, with the two electric field and the appropriate magnetic fields (B perpendicular to E in air or vacuum)
As long as the wave is in an isotropic medium, the two components have the same phase and you can (imaginary) put them together to obtain a wave with a single E component. In an anisotropic medium the two components will propagate with different speeds and a phase difference will appear.

Remember that this is just a model to help operate with waves in anisotropic medium. The wave is not actually "separated". The original plane or spherical wave is distorted due to the anisotropy of the medium and the propagation becomes more complicated. An easy way to describe what happens is to use this component model. Same as decomposing vectors or motion to do calculations does not mean that we actually have two "objects".

Likes rwooduk
nasu said:
Any vector can be decomposed into two perpendicular components. Like when you decompose the weight of a body into normal and tangential components on an inclined plane. It does not mean that the body has two weights, does it?
In the image the electric field is horizontal. You could decompose it into two components at 45 degree angles from horizontal (above and below horizontal plane). It's not an unique decomposition, for sure. Just an example. Then you can imagine two waves with propagating simultaneously, with the two electric field and the appropriate magnetic fields (B perpendicular to E in air or vacuum)
As long as the wave is in an isotropic medium, the two components have the same phase and you can (imaginary) put them together to obtain a wave with a single E component. In an anisotropic medium the two components will propagate with different speeds and a phase difference will appear.

Remember that this is just a model to help operate with waves in anisotropic medium. The wave is not actually "separated". The original plane or spherical wave is distorted due to the anisotropy of the medium and the propagation becomes more complicated. An easy way to describe what happens is to use this component model. Same as decomposing vectors or motion to do calculations does not mean that we actually have two "objects".
Thanks, some very good analogies there! you really helped clear things up in my head! thankyou very much!

You are very welcome.

Related to Does light have 2 electric field components?

1. What is the definition of an electric field component?

An electric field component is a vector quantity that represents the magnitude and direction of the electric force experienced by a charged particle at a specific point in space.

2. How many electric field components does light have?

Light has two electric field components, known as the transverse electric (TE) component and the transverse magnetic (TM) component.

3. What is the role of the electric field components in light?

The electric field components in light are responsible for the oscillation and propagation of the electromagnetic wave. They determine the direction and polarization of the light wave.

4. How are the two electric field components related to each other?

The two electric field components in light are perpendicular to each other and to the direction of propagation. This means that the TE component is in the plane of the electric field and the TM component is in the plane of the magnetic field.

5. Can one electric field component exist without the other?

No, the two electric field components are always present in light and cannot exist without each other. They are both necessary for the complete description of an electromagnetic wave.