Does Light Focus When Passing Through Converging and Diverging Lenses?

In summary, a converging lens with focal length f and a diverging lens with focal length -f are separated by a distance D. When parallel light enters from the left and passes through the lenses, the converging lens will bring the light to a focus and the diverging lens will not. This can be confirmed through the equation 1/f = 1/do + 1/di, where f is the focal length, do is the object distance, and di is the image distance. The formation of a virtual image between the focal point and the diverging lens does not count as light being focused.
gingerelle

Homework Statement

A converging lens has a focal length f, and a diverging
lens has a focal length –f, which has the same magnitude
as the converging lens. They are separated by a distance
D which is greater than f, as shown. Parallel light enters
from the left. Will the light be brought to a focus, and if
so where?

(basically there are two lenses. The converging lens is on the left of the diverging lens. The two are separated by some distance d. There are parallel horizontal rays traveling to the converging lens.)

Homework Equations

1/f = 1/do + 1/di ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how to approach this question, but I would like to confirm some of my thoughts first (to avoid finding out I was wrong to think a certain way later). The parallel horizontal rays that hit the converging lens should go through the lens, pass through the focal point...and all be going from the focal point and out in a diverging manner.

The light that's passed through the converging lens will then pass through the diverging lens, being refracted. This will form a virtual image in between the focal point and the diverging lens.

However, the formation of this virtual image...is that considered as light being focused?

Anyway...that's basically my thinking. Is this correct or am I missing something important?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your logic looks impeccable to me.
The converging lens brings the light to a focus;
The diverging lens doesn't.
The question looks so easy, am I missing something?

Your understanding of converging and diverging lenses is generally correct. When parallel light enters a converging lens, it will converge at the focal point on the other side of the lens. This is considered as light being focused because the rays are brought together at a single point.

In this scenario, the parallel light will first pass through the converging lens and then through the diverging lens. The diverging lens will cause the rays to diverge again, but they will still intersect at a point in between the focal point and the lens. This point is known as the virtual image, and it is not a physical image that can be projected onto a screen. Rather, it is an image that can only be seen by looking through the lenses.

To find the exact location of the virtual image, you can use the thin lens equation: 1/f = 1/do + 1/di. In this case, the object distance (do) is infinity (since the light rays are parallel), and the focal length (f) is known. Solving for the image distance (di) will give you the location of the virtual image.

It is important to note that in this scenario, the light is not being brought to a single focus point, but rather it is being redirected by the lenses. However, the virtual image still serves a similar purpose as a physical image in terms of focusing light and creating a clear image for the viewer.

Related to Does Light Focus When Passing Through Converging and Diverging Lenses?

1. How do converging and diverging lenses differ?

Converging lenses, also known as convex lenses, are thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges, whereas diverging lenses, also known as concave lenses, are thinner in the middle and thicker at the edges.

2. What is the focal length of a converging or diverging lens?

The focal length of a lens is the distance between the lens and its focal point, where parallel rays of light converge or appear to diverge. For a converging lens, the focal length is positive, while for a diverging lens, it is negative.

3. How does a converging lens form an image?

A converging lens bends light rays so that they converge at a focal point, creating a real and inverted image. The size and position of the image depend on the distance between the object and the lens, as well as the focal length of the lens.

4. Can a diverging lens form a real image?

No, a diverging lens can only form a virtual image, which is upright and appears to be behind the lens. This is because the light rays diverge after passing through the lens, making it impossible for them to converge and form a real image.

5. How are converging and diverging lenses used in everyday life?

Converging lenses are commonly used in cameras, telescopes, and magnifying glasses to form clear and magnified images. Diverging lenses are used in eyeglasses to correct nearsightedness, as well as in projectors and laser pointers to create a beam of light that spreads out.