Does light bend around objects? (Not by gravity or diffraction)

In summary, today the speaker observed an interesting optical effect while looking at the full moon with one eye closed, where a vertical metal rod or painted wall could cover the moon completely and create a thin line of moonlight along the edge. This effect is called diffraction and is caused by light bending around the object. The speaker had previously not considered diffraction as an explanation because the effect seems stronger on metals, the bright glow is very defined without any visible ripples, and they were unable to find similar photographs online. However, diffraction can occur with any object, and the lack of visible interference patterns is likely due to the diffuse light from the Sun.
peterparker
Today I was watching the full moon while I had one eye closed. There was a vertical metal rod which, by moving my head a bit, covered the moon completely, so that no direct light could hit my eye. (Yeah... I do things like that...)
I saw a thin line of moonlight parallel to the rod right at the edge of it.
It looks like the metal would bend the light along its surface for maybe a degree or so.
It doesn't seem to be a property of the metal, because a painted wall has the same effect, but less bright.

Does anyone know how this effect is called?

Thanks for solving this mystery, it puzzles me since I was a child :-D

Kind regards
peterparker

Science news on Phys.org
I believe that light bending around objects is called diffraction.

Indeed, this is diffraction. Not sure why you put "not by diffraction" in your title? Why do you think this is not diffraction?

I didn't take diffraction as an explanation because
A) the effect seems stronger on metals,
B ) the bright glow seems to be too defined, no ripples in intensity are visible (as seen in the slot experiment) and
C) I'm not able to find a photograph of the effect by Googling "visible diffraction". All I can find there is light split up in different wavelengths. And that's not what I see in my little experiment.

A) Metals are really reflective, so you are probably seeing both diffracted, as well as reflected light.
B) To see an interference pattern, you need to be looking at coherent light. The light from the Sun is in all wavelengths and different phases and polarizations, so you wouldn't see very much in terms of dimming and brightening.
C) Diffraction just means the light is bending around an object (see Huygen's wavelet model of light). But famously, the Young's two slit diffraction experiment (where the diffraction here means the light bends around the two slits) "proved" light is a wave, and so that's what you're going to see when you look up diffraction.

Related to Does light bend around objects? (Not by gravity or diffraction)

1. Does light bend around objects?

Yes, light can bend around objects, but this phenomenon is known as refraction and occurs due to changes in the speed of light as it passes through different mediums.

2. How does refraction cause light to bend around objects?

Refraction occurs when light passes through a medium with a different density, such as air to water. The change in density causes the light to change direction, resulting in the appearance of bending around objects.

3. Is refraction the only way light can bend around objects?

No, light can also bend around objects through a process called diffraction, which occurs when light waves encounter an obstacle or opening and spread out in all directions.

4. Can light bend around objects without any external influence?

No, light cannot bend around objects without external influence. Both refraction and diffraction require an external medium or obstacle to cause the bending of light.

5. Are there any real-world applications for the bending of light around objects?

Yes, the bending of light around objects is used in a variety of applications, such as in lenses for glasses, telescopes, and microscopes. It is also utilized in fiber optics for communication and in the formation of rainbows.