Does it matter who the recommendation letter is from?

In summary, the person is a physics undergraduate student who is planning to apply to graduate school in the future. They have a current research professor who will provide a strong letter of recommendation, but their previous research professor has a negative reputation and they are unsure if they will receive a good recommendation from them. They are considering asking this professor for a letter, but are also unsure of the status of their research project and potential publication. It is suggested that they ask the professor directly and consider finding another reference if needed.
Physics2468
I am a physics undergraduate student hoping to apply to grad school in the future. While my current research professor of a year is wonderful and will no doubt provide a great letter of recommendation, my previous research professor has a negative reputation around the department (I thought he was fine but other professors complained about personality, apparently is often very rude) and, more importantly, I am unsure whether or not he will give me a good rec (initial work went okay, mentioned possible publication, but halfway through the semester he stopped contacting me and ceased work suddenly). I have others I could ask for a rec letter, but I have research credit with him on my transcript. Unsure of publication status. Should I ask him if he can provide a strong letter of recommendation?

Physics news on Phys.org
The only way to know if he'll write you a decent reference letter is to ask him. Usually people won't lie about these things. You might want to follow up with him anyway if the work just ceased and you have no idea if any of it will ever be published.

For what it's worth, typically I think graduate schools are looking for at least one reference who can evaluate you from the point of view of having supervised you through some kind of research project or contribution. It's nice if there are more, but if this person's reference is going to be a questionable evaluation of your true attributes, it's probably a better idea to look elsewhere.

Related to Does it matter who the recommendation letter is from?

1. Does the content of a recommendation letter matter more than who it is from?

Yes, the content of a recommendation letter is typically considered more important than who it is from. The letter should provide specific examples and details about the applicant's abilities, skills, and character traits that make them a strong candidate for the position or program.

2. Is it better to get a recommendation letter from a well-known person or someone who knows me well?

It is generally better to get a recommendation letter from someone who knows you well, as they will be able to provide more personalized and detailed information about your qualifications and character. However, if the well-known person also knows you well and can speak to your abilities, that can also be beneficial.

3. Can a recommendation letter from a family member or friend be as valuable as one from a professional contact?

No, recommendation letters from family members or friends are typically not considered as valuable as those from professional contacts, as they may be biased and lack the necessary objectivity. It is best to choose a recommender who is not a family member or close friend.

4. Do I need to provide specific instructions or guidelines for my recommenders?

Yes, it is important to provide your recommenders with specific instructions or guidelines to ensure they address the key points and qualities you want highlighted in the letter. This can include information about the position or program you are applying for, your accomplishments and strengths, and any specific qualities or experiences you would like them to mention.

5. How many recommendation letters should I submit?

This varies depending on the specific requirements of the application or program, but typically 2-3 recommendation letters are sufficient. It is important to choose recommenders who can provide unique and valuable insights about your qualifications and character, rather than submitting a large number of generic letters.