Does it make sense to apply for M.Eng grad if ?

In summary, pursuing a graduate degree in mechanical engineering with a non-engineering bachelor's degree is possible, but it may require taking undergraduate courses before beginning graduate work. It is recommended to contact the schools of interest to inquire about their specific requirements and programs.
camacru
Is it possible or at least likely to pursue graduate study as a mechanical engineer if your bachelor's degree is in a non-engineering field? I am highly motivated and very interested in obtaining a mech. eng degree, but I am afraid that I lack the math and science pre-requisites that I imagine one would need to go on to an M. Eng. master's program.

Any idea?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your degree in?

I have a B.A in Industrial Design. I have worked as a professional product designer for the past 7 years.

Well I'm not an engineer but I would suggest contacting the schools you are interested in and seeing what program you can get into. Some schools would allow you to spend a year taking undergrad courses if you are not specialized in the field before you begin grad work.

Thanks VeeEight. I'll look into that.

Related to Does it make sense to apply for M.Eng grad if ?

1. Does having a M.Eng degree make a difference in job opportunities?

Yes, having a M.Eng degree can open up more job opportunities and potentially lead to higher paying positions. Employers often value the advanced technical skills and knowledge that comes with a graduate degree.

2. What is the difference between a M.Eng and a traditional Master's degree?

A M.Eng degree is typically more focused on practical, hands-on skills and applied research, while a traditional Master's degree may have a stronger emphasis on theoretical knowledge and academic research.

3. Is it worth the extra time and money to pursue a M.Eng?

It depends on your career goals and personal circumstances. If you are interested in a career in industry or applied research, a M.Eng degree may be worth the investment. However, if you are more interested in pursuing a career in academia or theoretical research, a traditional Master's degree may be a better fit.

4. Can I work while pursuing a M.Eng degree?

Many M.Eng programs are designed for working professionals, with classes offered in the evenings or online. This allows students to continue working while pursuing their degree. However, the workload may be demanding and it is important to carefully balance work and school commitments.

5. What are some potential career paths for M.Eng graduates?

M.Eng graduates may find employment in a variety of industries, including engineering, technology, and research. Some common job titles for M.Eng graduates include project engineer, design engineer, research engineer, and engineering manager. They may also pursue careers in academia, consulting, or entrepreneurship.