Does internal resistance affect balance point?

In summary: The current flows through the circuit, because the voltages are not exactly equal. So a potentiometer is like a null-method device: it doesn't draw any current from the cell, so the potential drop across it due to internal resistance is negligible.
jonny23

Homework Statement

if a potentiometer has driver cell and wire AB ,then an unknown emf (emf<driver cell) is balanced at some length L. does the balance point change if internal resistance of driver cell is changed?

Homework Equations

V= kl K= potential gradient

The Attempt at a Solution

if we increase the internal resistance ,the potential drop across wire AB should decrease and so balance point must shift.. But the solution says it will not change.

Untitled.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
jonny23 said:

Homework Statement

if a potentiometer has driver cell and wire AB ,then an unknown emf (emf<driver cell) is balanced at some length L. does the balance point change if internal resistance of driver cell is changed?

Homework Equations

V= kl K= potential gradient

The Attempt at a Solution

if we increase the internal resistance ,the potential drop across wire AB should decrease and so balance point must shift.. But the solution says it will not change.

You are right, the balance point will shift if you change the internal resistance of the driver cell. It will not depend on the internal resistance of the unknown cell

ehild said:
the balance point will shift if you change the internal resistance of the driver cell.

But in solution( i have checked in 4 books) says it will not change since we have set constant potential gradient across the wire.. and i don't even understand it

It is wrong. The potential gradient across the wire is E/(ri+Rwire), where ri is the internal resistance of the driving source. Book solutions are wrong quite often. They certainly thought of the internal resistance of the measured cell.

Likes Merlin3189 and jonny23
Well the solution to it is simple i guess because potentiometer is null method device i.e it does not draw any current from the cell and thus there is no potential drop due to internal resistance of the cell

nipun_59 said:
Well the solution to it is simple i guess because potentiometer is null method device i.e it does not draw any current from the cell and thus there is no potential drop due to internal resistance of the cell
Which cell do you talk about?

nipun_59 said:
Sounds confusing.
Disconnect the unknown emf for a minute. Then the voltage across L is variable by varying the driver cell resistance, obviously. So adjust the driver cell to equal the unknown emf. When you reconnect the unknown emf there will be zero G current since the two voltages are the same. Disconnect the unknown emf again and readjust the driver cell resistance, then reconnect the unknown emf. Is the G current still zero?

Think of connecting two batteries of exactly equal voltage, + to +, - to -. No current, right? But take two batteries of dissimilar voltages and what happens?

Related to Does internal resistance affect balance point?

1. What is internal resistance?

Internal resistance is the resistance that exists within a battery or electrical component, which can limit the flow of current within the system.

2. How does internal resistance affect balance point?

Internal resistance can affect the balance point by causing a voltage drop, which may shift the balance point or make it more difficult to reach.

3. Can internal resistance be measured?

Yes, internal resistance can be measured using a multimeter or other electrical testing equipment.

4. Does the type of battery or electrical component affect internal resistance?

Yes, different types of batteries and electrical components can have varying levels of internal resistance, which can affect their performance and balance point.

5. How can internal resistance be reduced?

Internal resistance can be reduced by using higher quality materials, reducing the length of the electrical path, and improving the design of the battery or component to minimize resistance.