Does Galilean symmetry imply that all systems are monogenic?

In summary, the equations of motions for a closed system consisting of ##N## particles are:m_i \vec x_i'' = \sum_{j \neq i}^N \vec F(\vec x_i, \vec x_i', \vec x_j, \vec x_j')i = 1,..., NNow if we impose the requirement that this closed system be symmetric under Galilean transformations, do we get the requirement that$$\vec F_i = - \frac {\partial V} {\partial x_i} + \frac {d} {dt} (\frac {\partial V} {\partial x_i'})$$?
hgandh
The equations of motions for a closed system consisting of ##N## particles are:
$$m_i \vec x_i'' = \sum_{j \neq i}^N \vec F(\vec x_i, \vec x_i', \vec x_j, \vec x_j')$$
$$ i = 1,..., N$$
Now if we impose the requirement that this closed system be symmetric under Galilean transformations, do we get the requirement that
$$\vec F_i = - \frac {\partial V} {\partial x_i} + \frac {d} {dt} (\frac {\partial V} {\partial x_i'})$$
?

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not think so. Even if force does not come from potential V, e.g. friction, Galilean transformation stands.

mitochan said:
I do not think so. Even if force does not come from potential V, e.g. friction, Galilean transformation stands.
The underlying interactions at the microscopic level that give rise to friction are derivable from potentials.

Let me see. In your last equation how do ##x_i## and ##x'_i## relate ?

Likes vanhees71
anuttarasammyak said:
Let me see. In your last equation how do ##x_i## and ##x'_i## relate ?
prime denotes derivative with respect to time

I see. Then how do ##\mathbf{F}## in your first equation and ##\mathbf{F_i}## in your last equation relate? What are the variables of ##V## ?

I assume
[tex]F_i :=\sum_{j=1}^{N} F(x_i, \dot{x}_i,x_j, \dot{x}_j)[/tex]
where Newton's third law says
[tex]F(x_i, \dot{x}_i,x_j, \dot{x}_j)=-F(x_j, \dot{x}_j,x_i, \dot{x}_i)[/tex]
so [tex]F(x_i, \dot{x}_i,x_i, \dot{x}_i)=0[/tex]

Symmetry of translation and Galelian transformation does not change acceleration in LHS so in RHS
[tex]
F(x_i, \dot{x}_i,x_j, \dot{x}_j)= F(x_i+Vt+X, \dot{x}_i+V,x_j+Vt+X, \dot{x}_j+V)
[/tex]
for any V and X. In appropriate choices of V and X, it becomes
[tex]F(0,0,x_j-x_i,\dot{x}_j-\dot{x}_i)=\mathbf{F}(x_j-x_i,\dot{x}_j-\dot{x}_i)[/tex]
Thus defined RHS function ##\mathbf{F}## has two parameters, relative coordinate and relative speed.
So as a result
[tex]F_i =\sum_{j=1}^{N} \mathbf{F}(x_j-x_i,\dot{x}_j-\dot{x}_i)[/tex]

[tex]\mathbf{F}(x_j-x_i,\dot{x}_j-\dot{x}_i)=-\mathbf{F}(x_i-x_j,\dot{x}_i-\dot{x}_j)[/tex]
[tex]\mathbf{F}(0,0)=0[/tex]

I have no idea how to relate this to potential form. EM, whose Lorentz force depends on relative velocity, holds vector and scalar potentials and follow not Galilean but Lorentz transformation.

In the case
[tex]\mathbf{F}=\mathbf{F}(x_j-x_i)=\mathbf{F}(r)[/tex]
[tex]\phi(R):=-\int_0^R F(r)dr[/tex]
would give potential if integration could not change by any integration path.

Last edited:

Related to Does Galilean symmetry imply that all systems are monogenic?

1. Is Galilean symmetry applicable to all systems?

Yes, Galilean symmetry is applicable to all systems. It is a fundamental principle in classical mechanics that describes the relationship between space, time, and motion.

2. What does Galilean symmetry imply?

Galilean symmetry implies that the laws of physics remain the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that the fundamental principles of physics are independent of the observer's reference frame.

3. Does Galilean symmetry apply to non-inertial reference frames?

No, Galilean symmetry only applies to inertial reference frames, which are frames that are not accelerating or rotating. In non-inertial reference frames, the laws of physics do not remain the same for all observers.

4. Can Galilean symmetry be used to describe quantum systems?

No, Galilean symmetry is a principle in classical mechanics and is not applicable to quantum systems. Quantum mechanics has its own set of principles and laws that govern the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

5. How does Galilean symmetry relate to the concept of momentum?

Galilean symmetry is closely related to the concept of momentum, as it describes the conservation of momentum in a closed system. This means that the total momentum of a system remains constant, regardless of the reference frame of the observer.