Does Force Applied to Rigid Body Produce Equal Effect?

In summary: If you apply a force to a mass and it starts to move, the force you applied is the same, but the acceleration (the rate at which the mass is moving) will be different because the mass is now moving at a different speed.
batballbat
a force is applied at a arbitrary point in a rigid body. Does another force equal to it and parallel to it applied to it another point produce the same effect?

Physics news on Phys.org
A force can produce an acceleration in the center of mass of a rigid body and a torque, two forces of equal magnitude and direction (parallel doesn't necessarily mean the same direction) will produce the same acceleration in the center of mass, do you think they could produce different torques?

i think the answer was affirmative. But take a lever for example. It ought to be not true.

Can you show it mathematically? Try a lever of length 1m, push with a force of 1N at the end and find that torque, then try again by pushing with 1N halfway along the rod.

i am sorry you misunderstood me. i was referring to JHamm quote
"Two forces of equal magnitude and direction (parallel doesn't necessarily mean the same direction) will produce the same acceleration in the center of mass"
In real word with friction this dosent seem true.

batballbat said:
a force is applied at a arbitrary point in a rigid body. Does another force equal to it and parallel to it applied to it another point produce the same effect?
As JHamm already explained:

If all you care about is the linear acceleration of the center of mass, then the point of application is irrelevant. The acceleration of the center of mass depends only on the net force, regardless of where the forces acting are applied.

But if you care about rotation as well as translation, then the point of application does make a difference.

So the short answer to your question is no. The same force applied at a different location will have a different effect.

think about billiard balls. i am sure there is a difference in acceleration

batballbat said:
think about billiard balls. i am sure there is a difference in acceleration
Think about Newton's 2nd law.

Related to Does Force Applied to Rigid Body Produce Equal Effect?

1. How does force applied to a rigid body affect its motion?

When a force is applied to a rigid body, it causes the body to accelerate in the direction of the force. This means that the body will either speed up or slow down, depending on the direction of the force and the initial velocity of the body.

2. Does the size of the force applied to a rigid body matter?

Yes, the size of the force applied to a rigid body does matter. The greater the force, the greater the acceleration of the body. This is described by Newton's Second Law, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

3. Is the effect of a force applied to a rigid body always in the direction of the force?

No, the effect of a force applied to a rigid body is not always in the direction of the force. If the force is applied at an angle to the body's direction of motion, the body will experience both a change in speed and a change in direction.

4. How does Newton's Third Law apply to the effect of a force on a rigid body?

Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when a force is applied to a rigid body, the body will exert an equal and opposite force back on the object or surface that the body is pushing against. This is why we often feel a force pushing back on us when we push against a wall or a heavy object.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the equal effect produced by a force on a rigid body?

Yes, there are a few factors that can affect the equal effect produced by a force on a rigid body. These include the mass and shape of the body, the surface it is in contact with, and any external forces acting on the body (such as friction or air resistance). These factors can all impact the acceleration and motion of the body in response to a given force.