Does first order QED matrix elements vanish?

In summary: T\{\hat H_I(x_1) ... \hat H_I(x_n) \}.In summary, the Feynman rules for QED involve expanding the S-operator in powers of the interaction and calculating matrix elements using the LSZ reduction formulas. The kinematic constraint comes from going from position space to momentum space and is necessary for the calculation of these matrix elements.
center o bass
Hi! I'm trying to learn the Feynman rules trough Wick's theorem right now and I'm focusing on QED.

Here the first order term of the S-operator can be written as

[tex] -ie\int d^4x :\bar \psi(x) \gamma^\mu \psi(x) A^\mu(x):[/tex]

but the author of the book I'm reading (Greiner Reinhart) claims that all the matrix elements vanish due to the fact that they are not kinematically allowed. That is alright. I agree that they are not kinematically allowed...

So I wondered do they actually vanish if you try to compute them in QED or is this kinematical requirement just imposed (as an additional postulate)?

I tried to verify the for one of the terms in the first order term when expanding the field operators out as positive and negative frequency terms. One of the terms will certainly be
[tex] \bar \psi^{(-)} A^{(-)} \psi^{(+)}[/tex] which is interpreted as a photon emission from an electron. Now since [itex]\psi^{(+)}[/itex] annhilates an electron we need an electron in the initial state
[tex]|i\rangle = b^\dagger_{p_1 s_1} |0\rangle[/tex]
and since [itex]\psi^{(-)}[/itex] and [itex] A^{(-)}[/itex] creates an electron and a photon we need an electron and a photon in the final state
[tex]|f\rangle = b^\dagger_{p_2 s_s} a^\dagger_{k_2 \lambda_2}. |0\rangle[/tex]

Now it does not seem to me that the corresponding matrix element for this process obviously vanishes. Since [itex]\psi^{(-)} \sim b_{ps}^\dagger \ \ A^{(-)}\sim a^\dagger_{k \lambda} \ \ \psi^{(+)} \sim b_{ps} [/itex] the matrix element will go as

[tex]\langle f| \bar \psi^{(-)} A^{(-)} \psi^{(+)}|i\rangle \sim \langle 0 |b_{p_2 s_2} a_{k_2 \lambda_2} b^\dagger_{p s} a_{k \lambda}^\dagger b_{p's'} b^\dagger_{p_1 s_1}|0\rangle. [/tex]

Every annhilation operator here have to be commuted past a creation operator before it can do any damage.. Will this matrix element become zero anyhow? Any easy way to see that it will or does one have to embark on the calculation?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Whoa, too many creation/annihilation operators! You can calculate S matrix elements in one of two ways. Either directly take the overlap between the in and out states: S = <out|in>. Or, "reduce" the in and out states by replacing them with creation operators acting on the vacuum. This second way expresses the S matrix as a vacuum expectation value, S = <0|ψγψA|0>.

The kinematic constraint comes as a consequence when you go from x space to p space.

∫ψ(x)A(x)ψ(x) d4x ∝ ∫∫ψ(p)e-ipx d4p ∫ψ(p')eip'x d4p' ∫A(k)eikxd4k d4x

If you do the x integral first, you get a delta function that conserves momentum.

∫e-ipxeip'xeikx d4x ∝ δ4(p' + k - p)

Bill_K said:
Whoa, too many creation/annihilation operators! You can calculate S matrix elements in one of two ways. Either directly take the overlap between the in and out states: S = <out|in>. Or, "reduce" the in and out states by replacing them with creation operators acting on the vacuum. This second way expresses the S matrix as a vacuum expectation value, S = <0|ψγψA|0>.

The kinematic constraint comes as a consequence when you go from x space to p space.

∫ψ(x)A(x)ψ(x) d4x ∝ ∫∫ψ(p)e-ipx d4p ∫ψ(p')eip'x d4p' ∫A(k)eikxd4k d4x

If you do the x integral first, you get a delta function that conserves momentum.

∫e-ipxeip'xeikx d4x ∝ δ4(p' + k - p)

Why are there too many creation and annhilation operators? They come from the initial and final states + the interaction.

They come from the initial and final states + the interaction.
This is doing it twice. The |in> state is an eigenstate of the full Hamiltonian including the interaction. In the infinite past it was an incoming electron, that's the boundary condition, but in the present it evolves, because the interaction Hamiltonian is busy turning it into other things. The |out> state is also an eigenstate of the full Hamiltonian, with a different boundary condition: it's the outgoing photon and electron in the infinite future.

|in> can turn into many things as it evolves, but the probability amplitude for |in> to turn specifically into the |out> state we're interested in is just the overlap, <out|in>. The interaction is already in there, in the states!

The LSZ reduction formulas build the |in> and |out> states from creation operators acting on the vacuum, so that all one ever needs to calculate in order to get the S-matrix elements is vacuum expectation values.

Bill_K said:
This is doing it twice. The |in> state is an eigenstate of the full Hamiltonian including the interaction. In the infinite past it was an incoming electron, that's the boundary condition, but in the present it evolves, because the interaction Hamiltonian is busy turning it into other things. The |out> state is also an eigenstate of the full Hamiltonian, with a different boundary condition: it's the outgoing photon and electron in the infinite future.

|in> can turn into many things as it evolves, but the probability amplitude for |in> to turn specifically into the |out> state we're interested in is just the overlap, <out|in>. The interaction is already in there, in the states!

The LSZ reduction formulas build the |in> and |out> states from creation operators acting on the vacuum, so that all one ever needs to calculate in order to get the S-matrix elements is vacuum expectation values.

I sort of agree with what you're saying here, but I have not yet reached the LSZ reduction formulaes. I'm reading 'Greiner Reinhart - Field Quantization' and I'm in the section where they present the Feynman rules for QED. As far as I understand it, it is the S matrix which does the evolving and in order to evaluate the matrix elements one has to expand it in powers of the interaction. The author uses the method I illustated explicitly at pages 245, 246 etc..

I.e.

[tex]S_{fi} = \langle \phi_f|\hat S|\phi_i\rangle[/tex]

Related to Does first order QED matrix elements vanish?

1. What is QED?

QED stands for Quantum Electrodynamics, which is a branch of quantum physics that describes the interactions between charged particles and electromagnetic fields.

2. What are first order QED matrix elements?

First order QED matrix elements refer to the mathematical quantities that represent the probability amplitude for a specific interaction between particles in quantum electrodynamics. They are used to calculate the probability of a particular outcome of an interaction.

3. Why do first order QED matrix elements vanish?

First order QED matrix elements can vanish due to various reasons, such as symmetry or conservation laws. In some cases, the conservation of energy or momentum can result in the vanishing of certain matrix elements.

4. How does the vanishing of first order QED matrix elements affect calculations?

The vanishing of first order QED matrix elements can simplify calculations in some cases, as it reduces the number of terms in the equations. However, it can also make the calculations more complex in other cases, as it may require the use of higher order matrix elements.

5. What are the implications of the vanishing of first order QED matrix elements in experiments?

The vanishing of first order QED matrix elements can affect the outcome of experiments, as it can result in certain interactions being more or less likely to occur. This can impact the interpretation of experimental data and may require the use of higher order matrix elements to accurately predict the results.