Does Every Closed Form on U Being Exact Imply the Same for f(U)?

In summary, if every closed form on U is exact and let f:U → R^n be a differentiable function with a differentiable inverse f^{-1}: f(u) → R^n, then the same is true for f(U). Using the hint, we can show that if w is a closed form on f(U), then w' = (f^{-1})^{\star}w is a closed form on U. By the given assumption, there exists a form h' on U such that w' = dh'. This leads to w = d(f^{-1}*h'), showing that w is also exact.
rocket
let [tex] f:U \rightarrow R^n [/tex] be a differentiable function with a differentiable inverse [tex] f^{-1}: f(u) \rightarrow R^n [/tex]. if every closed form on U is exact, show that the same is true for f(U).

Hint: if dw=0 and [tex]f^{\star}w = d\eta, [/tex] consider [tex](f^{-1})^{\star}\eta. [/tex]
---------------------------------------------------

I'm not quite sure what the hint means or how to use it. is it true that [tex]f^{\star} [/tex] is basically another way of writing a differential - eg. df? I didn't really get a clear definition of it in my text.

anyway here's my thoughts so far:

consider [tex]w[/tex] as a form on U. suppose [tex]w[/tex] is closed. then dw = 0. since every closed form on U is exact, then there exists a [tex] \eta [/tex] on U such that [tex]w = d\eta [/tex].

but how is it that [tex] f^{\star}w = d\eta [/tex] (given in the hint)? like, how is this relationship derived? if [tex]w = d\eta [/tex] and also [tex] f^{\star}w = d\eta [/tex], then we have [tex]w = f^{\star}w [/tex]? I find that really confusing, and I'm not sure how to continue the problem. Any help is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm rusty on this stuff, but if w is a form on f(U), then w' = (f-1)*w is a form on U. Show that if w is closed, then so is w'. If w' is closed, then there is some h' such that w' = dh'. Try to use this to show that w is also exact. Perhaps you will find that w = d(f*h') or something like that.

The hint is referring to the pullback of forms under a differentiable map. The pullback of a form w on U by a differentiable map f is defined as f^{\star}w = w \circ f . In other words, it is the form obtained by applying f to the variables in w. So, if w = d\eta on U, then f^{\star}w = f^{\star}(d\eta) = d(f^{\star}\eta) (using the properties of the pullback operation).

Now, since f is a differentiable function with a differentiable inverse f^{-1}, we can also define the pullback of forms on f(U) using (f^{-1})^{\star}. So, if we have a form \eta on f(U), then the pullback of \eta by (f^{-1})^{\star} would be (f^{-1})^{\star}\eta.

Using the definition of the pullback, we can see that (f^{-1})^{\star}\eta = \eta \circ f^{-1}.

Now, going back to the hint, if we have dw = 0 and f^{\star}w = d\eta, then we can use the properties of the pullback to obtain (f^{-1})^{\star}dw = (f^{-1})^{\star}(0) = 0. Similarly, (f^{-1})^{\star}f^{\star}w = (f^{-1})^{\star}(d\eta) = d((f^{-1})^{\star}\eta) (using the properties of the pullback).

Therefore, if we can show that (f^{-1})^{\star}\eta is a closed form on U, then we have shown that every closed form on f(U) is exact.

To show that (f^{-1})^{\star}\eta is closed, we need to show that d((f^{-1})^{\star}\eta) = 0. But we already know that d\eta = w = (f^{-1})^{\star}f^{\star}w, so we can rewrite the equation as d((f^{-1})^{\star}\eta) = (f^{-1})^{\star}f^{\star}w.

Using the properties of the pullback, we

Related to Does Every Closed Form on U Being Exact Imply the Same for f(U)?

1. What is the difference between a closed form and an exact form?

A closed form is a differential form that, when integrated over any closed surface, always gives a finite value. An exact form is a differential form that is the exterior derivative of another form.

2. How can I determine if a form is closed?

A form is closed if its exterior derivative is equal to zero. This means that the form has no sources or sinks and represents a conservative quantity.

3. What is the significance of exact forms in physics?

Exact forms are important in physics because they represent conservative physical quantities, such as energy or momentum. This allows for the use of the conservation laws, which state that these quantities must be conserved in a closed system.

4. Can a form be both closed and exact?

Yes, a form can be both closed and exact. This means that the form is a conservative quantity and can be expressed as the exterior derivative of another form.

5. How are closed and exact forms used in mathematics?

Closed and exact forms are used in mathematics to study differential equations and integrals. They also have applications in fields such as topology and differential geometry, where they are used to understand the properties of manifolds and vector fields.