Does driving a car affect the Earth's rotational velocity

In summary, driving east gives momentum to the air, which gives it back to the Earth, and the Earth will rotate back to it's original rotation.
shott92
hi guys
really odd question (no such things as a silly question)
but i was just thinking about this and well according to Newtons every action has an equal and opposite reaction
well i know I am talking fractions of a degree per millenia or there abouts i guess
but when i get in my car with a mass and accelerate (lets say east)
then does this actually have an impact on the rotational speed of the earth

cheers for the time and answers :D

Physics news on Phys.org
shott92 said:
when i get in my car with a mass and accelerate (lets say east)
then does this actually have an impact on the rotational speed of the earth
Yes.

angular_momentum.jpg

shott92 said:
i know I am talking fractions of a degree per millenia or there abouts
You cannot accelerate your car east for millennia. As soon you reach constant speed, you are giving all the momentum you are gaining back to air, which gives it back to the Earth. And when you stop the Earth has it's original amount of angular momentum again. All the different interactions average to zero over time. Only external bodies, like the Moon can exert a "permanent" torque that reduces the Earth's angular momentum over millennia.

If you want to slow down the Earth's rotation permanently, you have move closer to the equator and stay there.

Last edited:
Likes shott92
pretty much as i thought, thanks
although i did over think it and figured that the forces would almost equal out due to usually when you drive to a location you drive back home (return trip) lol ... forgot about braking :/
but thanks for that picture too, made me smile :D

shott92 said:
although i did over think it and figured that the forces would almost equal out due to usually when you drive to a location you drive back home (return trip)
For north-south travel you have to return to the same latitude to restore the original Earth rotation.

shott92 said:
forgot about braking
You don't have to actually use the brakes. The air that slows you down transfers it's momentum the Earth, with some delay though.

Presumably using fuel will have converted some mass (that was originally below the Earth's surface) into gasses (mass above the Earth's surface). I guess that might change the rotational velocity of the planet even if the car returns home :-)

Related to Does driving a car affect the Earth's rotational velocity

1. How does driving a car affect the Earth's rotational velocity?

Driving a car does not have a significant impact on the Earth's rotational velocity. The Earth's rotation is primarily influenced by the distribution of mass and energy within the planet, and the motion of vehicles on its surface is too small to affect this.

2. Could driving a large number of cars cause the Earth to rotate faster?

No, the number of cars on the Earth's surface is not large enough to significantly alter its rotational velocity. Additionally, the Earth's rotation is affected by many other factors such as tides, winds, and changes in the Earth's core, which have a much greater impact.

3. Does driving a car in one direction have a different effect on the Earth's rotation compared to driving in the opposite direction?

No, driving in any direction will not affect the Earth's rotational velocity. The motion of vehicles on the Earth's surface is too small to have an impact on the planet's overall rotation.

4. Is there a specific speed at which driving a car would start to affect the Earth's rotation?

No, the velocity of cars is not significant enough to have an impact on the Earth's rotation. The speed at which the Earth rotates is much greater than the speed of cars, so their motion does not make a noticeable difference.

5. Are there any other ways that driving a car could indirectly impact the Earth's rotational velocity?

No, the impact of driving a car on the Earth's rotation is negligible. However, the emissions from cars contribute to climate change, which can indirectly affect the planet's rotation through changes in atmospheric and oceanic circulation patterns.