Does dP_x dP_y = d^2\vec P : Integration scalar / vector var

In summary: I see that I have done something wrong. The integrals don't agree because ##\vec P^2## is not a scalar, it's a vector.
binbagsss
Excuse me if this is a bad question but:
Does ##d P_x d P_y = d^2 \vec P ##?
I thought not because ##P_x ## is a scalar , a component of the vector, whereas ##\vec P ## is a vector?
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say they're equal, but this is merely notation, no?

mm I'm confused:

Say I have ##\int dP_x dP_y e^{-\vec{P}^2}##

if ##dP_x dP_y =d\vec P ##* then this is ## \int d\vec{P}e^{-\vec{P}^2}=\sqrt{\pi}##

Since ##\vec P^2## is a scalar I can do the integral working with the components ##dP_x## and ##dP_y## however had it not been and just been ##\vec{P}## I don't know how you convert the integral between ##dP_x dP_y## and ##d\vec P ##

So ##\int dP_x dP_y e^{-\vec{P}^2}=\int dP_x dP_y e^{-P_x^2-P_y^2}=\int dP_x e^{-P_x^2}\int dP_x e^{-P_y^2}=\sqrt{\pi}\sqrt{\pi}=\pi##

so using * these don't agree?

binbagsss said:
mm I'm confused:

Say I have ##\int dP_x dP_y e^{-\vec{P}^2}##

if ##dP_x dP_y =d\vec P ##* then this is ## \int d\vec{P}e^{-\vec{P}^2}=\sqrt{\pi}##

Since ##\vec P^2## is a scalar I can do the integral working with the components ##dP_x## and ##dP_y## however had it not been and just been ##\vec{P}## I don't know how you convert the integral between ##dP_x dP_y## and ##d\vec P ##

So ##\int dP_x dP_y e^{-\vec{P}^2}=\int dP_x dP_y e^{-P_x^2-P_y^2}=\int dP_x e^{-P_x^2}\int dP_x e^{-P_y^2}=\sqrt{\pi}\sqrt{\pi}=\pi##

so using * these don't agree?

anyone? What have I done wrong here?
Many thanks

Related to Does dP_x dP_y = d^2\vec P : Integration scalar / vector var

1. What is the meaning of dP_x dP_y?

dP_x dP_y represents the product of the infinitesimal changes in the x and y components of a vector, P. It is often used in multivariate calculus to calculate the total change in a vector field.

2. Is dP_x dP_y a scalar or a vector?

dP_x dP_y is a scalar quantity. This means that it has magnitude but no direction, unlike a vector which has both magnitude and direction.

3. How is dP_x dP_y calculated?

dP_x dP_y can be calculated using the product rule of differentiation. It involves finding the partial derivatives of the x and y components of the vector, P, and then multiplying them together.

4. What is the relationship between dP_x dP_y and integration?

dP_x dP_y is often used in integration to calculate the total change in a vector field. The integral of dP_x dP_y represents the sum of the infinitesimal changes in the x and y components of the vector, P, over a given region.

5. Can dP_x dP_y be used for both scalar and vector fields?

Yes, dP_x dP_y can be used to calculate the total change in both scalar and vector fields. However, in vector fields, it is often used in combination with other vector operations to calculate the total change in the direction of the vector field.