Does DOS depend on Temperature?

In summary, the Green Function theory defines the Spectral Function as the average value of the commutator of the retard or advance Green function for all occupied states. In the case of T=0, this average value is only calculated for the ground state, making the Spectral Function independent of T. However, in the nonzero T condition, the Spectral Function must also take into account the partition function and include the parameter T. On the other hand, the DOS is typically seen as a definite quantity independent of T. When relating the DOS to the Spectral Function, there may be a contradiction between the two concepts. A lower level derivation of the DOS can be obtained by integrating the single-particle spectral function A(k,w) over all
Diracmai
In the Green Function theory. The Spectrum Function can be related to DOS. However, in the nonzero T condition, we can also define Spectrum Function. In the other hand, in my conception, DOS is the independent quantity which is determined by the system.
So, does it mean DOS is actually a function which depends on T?

Physics news on Phys.org
Diracmai said:
In the Green Function theory. The Spectrum Function can be related to DOS. However, in the nonzero T condition, we can also define Spectrum Function. In the other hand, in my conception, DOS is the independent quantity which is determined by the system.
So, does it mean DOS is actually a function which depends on T?

Can you show me the single-particle spectral function for T=0 and T not zero, and tell me what you think is "different"?

Zz.

Well the standard definition of the DOS I have been given is the number of states per energy (number of states not number of occupied states). This is a property of the Hamiltonian so for every example I have seen the DOS does not depend on temperature, but the occupation numbers do. I don't know, there may be other definitions.

radium said:
Well the standard definition of the DOS I have been given is the number of states per energy (number of states not number of occupied states). This is a property of the Hamiltonian so for every example I have seen the DOS does not depend on temperature, but the occupation numbers do. I don't know, there may be other definitions.

There is a "lower level" derivation/definition of the DOS when mean-field approximation/Fermi liquid model is valid. If one starts with the single-particle spectral function A(k,w), which is the imaginary part of the single-particle Green's function, then the DOS is the "momentum average" of the spectral function, i.e. you integrate A(k,w) over all possible momentum k and essentially giving you A(w), which corresponds to some form of the density of states.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Can you show me the single-particle spectral function for T=0 and T not zero, and tell me what you think is "different"?

Zz.

The definition of Spectral Function need us to calculate the average value of commutator(retard or advance green function) according to all the occupied states. In the T=0 condition, we only need to compute the average value in the ground state. So, the function is independent of T. However, if T is a definite value, we need to include partition function to calculate the average value in all the excited states. So, the Spectral Function include the parameter T.

My question is, the definition of DOS seems like an definite quantity which independent of T. So, if we relate DOS to Spectral Function, there must be some contradiction between these two conception.

In your second response, do you means A(k,w) (momentum average) is dependent on T. And if we integrate all the k, the quantity A(w) is actually accord with the definition of DOS and independent of T?

Related to Does DOS depend on Temperature?

1. What is DOS?

DOS stands for Density of States. It is a measure of the number of energy states per unit volume that are available to be occupied by particles in a system.

2. How does DOS depend on temperature?

DOS does depend on temperature, as temperature affects the distribution of particles in a system. At higher temperatures, there is more thermal energy available for particles to occupy higher energy states, resulting in an increase in DOS.

3. Is there a specific relationship between DOS and temperature?

Yes, there is a direct relationship between DOS and temperature. As temperature increases, the DOS also increases.

4. Why does DOS increase with temperature?

DOS increases with temperature because at higher temperatures, there is more thermal energy available for particles to occupy higher energy states. This results in an increase in the number of energy states that are available for particles to occupy, leading to an increase in DOS.

5. Are there any exceptions to the relationship between DOS and temperature?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the relationship between DOS and temperature. In some systems, DOS may decrease with temperature due to the influence of other factors such as interactions between particles or changes in the system's structure. However, in most cases, DOS does increase with temperature.