Does 'delete [] varname;' delete multiple arrays in C++?

• C/C++
  • Thread starter neurocomp2003
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arrays
In summary, the individual questioned if using "delete [] varname;" would delete multiple arrays in a 3D array structure. The expert advised using a for loop to delete all elements in the array, and warned against relying on the program to automatically deallocate memory. The individual mentioned using "delete [] name" and was advised to correct it. They also mentioned adding scene management technology to handle the large amount of resources used by the array.
neurocomp2003
Was wondering if the "delete [] varname;" deletes multiple arrays

eg...

I coded a 3-D array as follows:

type ***name;
name = new type**[n];
for i: name= new type*[n];
for i,j: name[j]=new type[n];
and name[j][k] is and element in the array

now does
"delete [] varname;" suffice to delete the 3D array?
or do i have to first delete name[j] then delete name and then name.

Technology news on Phys.org
You need a for loop to delete everything.

coo, thanks so its

for i,j: delte name[j]
for i: delete name
delete [] name?

oh yeah one other Q, if i allocate memory and forget to deallocate...when the programm shuts down does it autodeallocate for me? or do i have to turn off my system?

Yes, that works, just spell delete correctly.

Yes it will free the memory, but don't rely on it. That is bad programming because while you run the program you'll be wasting a lot of memory.

thanks dduardo...heh i was just using "delete [] name" now i should go correct it. Its fun to watch 1000 3D spherical (billiard) balls colliding eating up the resources, yay for a double for loop...now i got to add in some scene mgmt tech.

Related to Does 'delete [] varname;' delete multiple arrays in C++?

1. What is the syntax for deleting an N-D array in C++?

The syntax for deleting an N-D array in C++ is delete[] arrayName;. This will delete the entire array and free up the memory it was using.

2. Can I delete individual elements of an N-D array in C++?

No, it is not possible to delete individual elements of an N-D array in C++. The delete[] operator can only be used to delete the entire array.

3. What happens if I try to delete an N-D array that has already been deleted?

If you try to delete an N-D array that has already been deleted, it will result in undefined behavior. This can lead to crashes or other unexpected results in your program.

4. Do I need to delete N-D arrays in C++ if I use the new keyword to allocate memory?

Yes, it is important to delete N-D arrays in C++ if you use the new keyword to allocate memory. This is to prevent memory leaks, where the memory allocated for the array is not freed up, leading to a loss of available memory in your program.

5. Is there a difference between deleting an N-D array and using the delete operator on a single pointer?

Yes, there is a difference between deleting an N-D array and using the delete operator on a single pointer. When deleting an N-D array, the delete[] operator will call the destructor for each element in the array. However, when using delete on a single pointer, the destructor for that specific object will be called. It is important to use the correct operator depending on how the memory was allocated.