Does cooked meat aroma cause specific physiological response?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential physiological responses triggered by the smell of cooking meat and the search for expertise in biology to further explore this topic. The individual has come across articles discussing the known components in the aroma of cooked meat and their impact on human responses. They suspect that fats play a primary role in activating these responses and mention the Maillard reaction as a potential factor. The conversation also brings up advanced glycation end products and suggests following up on this concept for more information.
dbaier
I have been exploring (with limited success) if/how the smell of cooking meat produces known physiological responses (beyond Povlov's behavioral conditioning/salivation, but rather what known components actually trigger the response). Looking for some expertise in biology to get me on the right path. I have come across some articles regarding known components (over 600) in the aroma but they are centered around opinion based "appealing odors". Found this forum in a search which found "dogs afraid of the aroma of cooked lamb" but it was filled with theories on added spices. I suspect more to evolution on this and want to find any/all information from the biology side (outside my expertise) regarding any known human responses to the odor (or airborne chemical) from cooking meats. I suspect that the fats play a primary role in activating people (neural triggers, taste activation from odors, etc.). Any insight is appreciated.

Biology news on Phys.org
I think what you want may be the Maillard reaction. Looking at this in a simple way: carbohydrates and protein when exposed to dry temperature cooking, above about ~305F, with available air, oxidize. The end product is the brown coating on bread and fried or roasted meat. These are called advanced glycation end products

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_glycation_end-product

You may want to follow up on these.

Related to Does cooked meat aroma cause specific physiological response?

1. What is the connection between cooked meat aroma and physiological response?

The aroma of cooked meat can trigger a specific physiological response in our bodies, such as increased salivation, hunger, and digestion. This is because our sense of smell is closely linked to our taste and digestive systems.

2. Is the physiological response to cooked meat aroma the same for everyone?

No, the physiological response to cooked meat aroma can vary from person to person. Factors such as age, genetics, and previous food experiences can all play a role in how our bodies react to certain smells.

3. How does the aroma of cooked meat affect our appetite?

The aroma of cooked meat can stimulate our appetite by triggering the release of hormones that signal hunger and digestion. This can make us more likely to eat and enjoy our meals.

4. Can the aroma of cooked meat impact our digestion?

Yes, the aroma of cooked meat can stimulate the production of digestive enzymes, making it easier for our bodies to break down and absorb the nutrients from the meat. This can lead to better digestion and nutrient absorption.

5. Are there any health benefits to the physiological response to cooked meat aroma?

Yes, the physiological response to cooked meat aroma can have some health benefits. The stimulation of digestion and nutrient absorption can help with weight management and improve overall nutrient intake. However, it is important to consume cooked meat in moderation and as part of a balanced diet for optimal health.