Does constant radial velocity always mean zero radial acceleration?

In summary, constant radial velocity refers to the steady rate at which an object is moving towards or away from a reference point in a circular or elliptical orbit. It is measured using radial velocity spectroscopy and is an important parameter in astronomy, providing information about the motion and dynamics of celestial objects. Several factors can affect constant radial velocity, and it is used to discover exoplanets by measuring slight wobbles in a star's velocity caused by the gravitational pull of an orbiting planet.
rallizes
Had a problem on a test today where a constant radial velocity of a particle was given in radians/sec with parametric equations that defined a spiral. Later it asked if the particle was accelerating radially, linearly or a combination of the two and I put linearly only because I figured if the radial velocity was constant than the radial acceleration should be zero.. Thinking about it more I'm starting to doubt myself and get the circles tangled up in my head so I thought I'd come here for help, anybody know?

Physics news on Phys.org
Constant radial velocity does not imply zero radial acceleration.

Related to Does constant radial velocity always mean zero radial acceleration?

What is constant radial velocity?

Constant radial velocity refers to the steady rate at which an object is moving away or towards a reference point in a circular or elliptical orbit. It is measured in units of distance per unit of time, such as kilometers per hour or meters per second.

How is constant radial velocity measured?

Constant radial velocity is measured using a technique called radial velocity spectroscopy. This involves analyzing the slight shifts in the wavelengths of light emitted by a celestial object, such as a star, to determine its velocity towards or away from Earth.

What is the significance of constant radial velocity in astronomy?

Constant radial velocity is an important parameter in astronomy as it provides information about the motion and dynamics of celestial objects. It can help determine the presence of planets around stars, the orbital characteristics of binary star systems, and the expansion of the universe.

What factors can affect constant radial velocity?

Several factors can affect constant radial velocity, including the mass and distance of the object being observed, the presence of other objects in the system, and the angle at which the object's orbit is viewed. Other factors, such as gravitational interactions and instrumental errors, can also contribute to variations in radial velocity measurements.

How is constant radial velocity used to discover exoplanets?

Constant radial velocity is a key component in the discovery of exoplanets, or planets orbiting other stars. By measuring the slight wobbles in a star's radial velocity caused by the gravitational pull of an orbiting planet, scientists can infer the presence, size, and orbital characteristics of the planet. This technique has been used to discover thousands of exoplanets to date.