Does Constant Engine Power Guarantee Constant Acceleration?

In summary, the statement that a car's engine produces constant power and therefore the car's speed will increase at a constant acceleration is false. While the factor (ad/t) may be constant, there are additional forces such as wind resistance and friction that act against the acceleration of the car. In contrast, a rocket in deep space can accelerate indefinitely due to the lack of these additional forces.
jim_ringo

Homework Statement

a cars engine produces constant power therefore the cars speed will increase at a constant acceleration.

is this true or false

Homework Equations

Power=w/t
work=fd
so P=mad/t

The Attempt at a Solution

so if p is constant it appears a must be constant. Therefore the statement is true

When I logically think about this situation I think it is false. I imagine myself driving down the highway in my stang turning 2500 rpm at 100 mph. Assume I stay in the same gear. Unless I raise the revs by giving it more gas I will not accelerate. When raising the engine rpm my engine makes more power...so how can I accelerate if my engine maintains a constant rpm(same power output)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equations are correct and so is your logic. However, can you think of any additional forces which may act against the acceleration of the car?

Ah, wind resistance and friction between the road and tires...and then there's also the some power loss due to the weight of the drive train components.

Yeah. I think it's funny to think about a bike. The wheels are so thin, but that little surface area combined with the air stops you from going as fast as you want.

so just that little bit of resistance from the tires and the air hitting the body of the car prevents the car from accelerating,correct?

so the answer would be true?

Yes, so it's not that little really.

jim_ringo said:
so the answer would be true?

Well in real life the answer is false for a car. A rocket in deep space could accelerate indefinitely.

jim_ringo said:
a cars engine produces constant power therefore the cars speed will increase at a constant acceleration.

is this true or false

Homework Equations

Power=w/t
work=fd
so P=mad/t

The Attempt at a Solution

so if p is constant it appears a must be constant. Therefore the statement is true
Whoa! I'm not convinced that you have demonstrated it to be true. All I see you having shown here is that
the factor (ad/t) is constant. I think you are asked to determine whether or not a is constant---am I correct in believing that is what the problem is asking?

NascentOxygen said:
Whoa! I'm not convinced that you have demonstrated it to be true. All I see you having shown here is that
the factor (ad/t) is constant. I think you are asked to determine whether or not a is constant---am I correct in believing that is what the problem is asking?

Yes that is what the problem is asking

Related to Does Constant Engine Power Guarantee Constant Acceleration?

1. What is a car engine?

A car engine is a complex mechanical device that converts fuel into motion, providing the power needed to move a vehicle.

2. How does a car engine work?

A car engine works by igniting a mixture of fuel and air in a confined space, creating a controlled explosion that pushes pistons and turns a crankshaft. This motion is then transferred to the wheels of the car, propelling it forward.

3. What is constant power in a car engine?

Constant power in a car engine refers to the ability of the engine to maintain a steady output of power, regardless of changes in speed or load. This is achieved through the use of various systems, such as fuel injection and engine management, to regulate the amount of fuel and air being used.

4. How is constant power achieved in a car engine?

Constant power is achieved through a combination of factors, including proper tuning and maintenance of the engine, efficient use of fuel and air, and the use of technologies such as turbocharging and variable valve timing. These systems work together to optimize engine performance and maintain a consistent power output.

5. What are the benefits of constant power in a car engine?

Constant power in a car engine allows for smoother and more efficient operation, improved fuel economy, and better overall performance. It also helps to reduce wear and tear on engine components, leading to a longer lifespan for the engine.