Does Computer Science include Pascal ?

In summary: You might want to consider a different major.In summary, Pascal is a language that is similar to C++, Java, and HTML, but is more complex.
poonlam
Does Computer Science include "Pascal"?

Im going to major in Computer Science Engineering but someone told me that CS is all 'bout C++, Java, HTML and stuffs that I have never learned. And I am pretty sure that I am not interested in them.('cuz they look scary)
However, I learned some 'bout Pascal and really like it. so yah, just want to make sure... does anyone kno?

Technology news on Phys.org

Wikipedia's wording on this isn't actually that bad.

Computer science is the study and the science of the theoretical foundations of information and computation and their implementation and application in computer systems.

Some universities teach computer science as a theoretical study of computation and algorithmic reasoning. These programs often feature the theory of computation, analysis of algorithms, formal methods, concurrency theory, databases, computer graphics and systems analysis, among others. They typically also teach computer programming, but treat it as a vessel for the support of other fields of computer science rather than a central focus of high-level study.

CS isn't about any particular programming or markup language. Heck, learning to program isn't about learning any particular language.

If you like Pascal, you'll like other languages, too. CS is actually about higher-level, more abstract concepts than programming -- programming is really a means to an end, used for implementation. A good CS program will require that you have a pretty good understanding of at least one programming language after only your first year of classes.

- Warren

I think Pascal hit its peak in popularity around 1990. After that, introductory programming courses at universities in the USA mostly switched to C++. Around 2000 they switched again, to Java.

Yep Pascal was a great language though. I still think it's one of the very best languages for learning the basics of stuctured programming, but programming courses usually need to consider what's in current use to make their course as relevant as possible, so yeah it was more c++ in the 90's and more java now.

I learned most of my programming skills on Pascal and I still prefer to use it (or Delphi "object pascal") over anything else if I've got the choice. Most of the concepts you learn on one language usually translate fairly easily into other languages so don't worry. Personally I always found c/c++ to be a pain_ITA after pascal but java not quite so bad.

Yeah, my college only teaches Java to CS majors. C++ is taught only to EE/Comp Eng students, who also have to learn C beforehand.

Pascal basically lives on today in the form of "Delphi", as uart mentioned, so if you want to keep using Pascal go read up on Delphi. No college I've ever heard of uses Delphi however.

The thing is though, if you know traditional Pascal you know C already. The only particular difference is that C uses symbols in places where Pascal uses words. You could almost convert between the two with a "find/replace" tool...

awwww. so I should better consider my choice again then...
and yah, as Coin said, ppl also told me 'bout the relationship b/w Pascal and C... they are kinda the same. but still, i think i cannot handle those complex languages... :(( *sad*
does anyone know 'bout Networking btw? 'cuz I am pretty sure that i will major in something related to Computer. since CS is tough... i think i should consider networking. do u guys have to know these languages anyway?

poonlam said:
Im going to major in Computer Science Engineering but someone told me that CS is all 'bout C++, Java, HTML and stuffs that I have never learned. And I am pretty sure that I am not interested in them.('cuz they look scary)
However, I learned some 'bout Pascal and really like it. so yah, just want to make sure... does anyone kno?
If you are not interested in those languages, why do you want to major in Computer Science? (I've never heard of "Computer Science Engineering". Are you confusing "Computer Science" and "Software Engineering"?)

As others have said, learning a specific computer language is very easy. "Computer Science" should be about computer languages in general (much like learning Linguistics rather than learning a single language), as well as general database concepts, etc.

poonlam said:
If you are not interested in those languages, why do you want to major in Computer Science? (I've never heard of "Computer Science Engineering". Are you confusing "Computer Science" and "Software Engineering"?) That's a lot like saying "I want to major in Physics but I only want to learn kinematics, not dynamics, thermodynamics, physical chemistry, etc. 'cuz they look scary."

As others have said, learning a specific computer language is very easy. "Computer Science" should be about computer languages in general (much like learning Linguistics rather than learning a single language), as well as general database concepts, etc.

I haven't heard of a major in Computer Science Engineering. Sounds pretty much like a standard CS major perhaps with more emphasis on Comp Eng.

And anyway, as anyone here would tell you. CS isn't about programming. Programming is just one aspect of it, and picking up new programming languages after you have learned one of them isn't too hard since programming languages have a lot in common.

Defennder said:
I haven't heard of a major in Computer Science Engineering. Sounds pretty much like a standard CS major perhaps with more emphasis on Comp Eng.

And anyway, as anyone here would tell you. CS isn't about programming. Programming is just one aspect of it, and picking up new programming languages after you have learned one of them isn't too hard since programming languages have a lot in common.
Picking up similar programming languages isn't too hard... Unless you want to to tell me how I can pick up http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/whitespace/" easily. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

Erm, is Whitespace supposed to be a joke? Here's what it says
[URL]http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/whitespace/index.php said:
Most[/URL] modern programming languages do not consider white space characters (spaces, tabs and newlines) syntax, ignoring them, as if they weren't there. We consider this to be a gross injustice to these perfectly friendly members of the character set. Should they be ignored, just because they are invisible? Whitespace is a language that seeks to redress the balance. Any non whitespace characters are ignored; only spaces, tabs and newlines are considered syntax.

Their sample program code is quite hilarious.

Last edited by a moderator:

HallsofIvy said:
If you are not interested in those languages, why do you want to major in Computer Science? (I've never heard of "Computer Science Engineering". Are you confusing "Computer Science" and "Software Engineering"?) That's a lot like saying "I want to major in Physics but I only want to learn kinematics, not dynamics, thermodynamics, physical chemistry, etc. 'cuz they look scary."

wait... I'm kind of confused right now. Isn't Computer Science Engineering is Computer Engineering? I saw "Computer Engineering" somewhere and I thought its the same as Computer Science...?

poonlam said:
wait... I'm kind of confused right now. Isn't Computer Science Engineering is Computer Engineering? I saw "Computer Engineering" somewhere and I thought its the same as Computer Science...?

"Computer Science" is the study of how to create and understand software programs.

"Computer Engineering" is a special major which is offered by some colleges I am aware of. It is sort of a cross between Computer Science and Electrical Engineering, with classes taken piecemeal from both-- in other words it's about preparing you for a career in computer hardware.

"Software Engineering" is a single subject within computer science, most undergraduate computer science programs will offer a class or two in it for upperclassmen. It's the study of how to organize and coordinate software projects involving several people (in other words it's mostly a class in management).

I've never heard of "Computer Science Engineering".

You should check with your school's computing and Comp Eng department which field "Comp Sci Eng" falls under. In particular, suppose you were to graduate with a BSc in one. What exactly would be written on your degree scroll? Comp Sci Eng? Or Comp Sci?

Defennder said:
Erm, is Whitespace supposed to be a joke?

A little bit more than the brain****. Release date suggest that the language was not treated too seriously from the start. Still, looks like you can write whatever you want. That is, if you are patient enough.

Erm... how do I enter name of the language?

brainf*ck?

brainsfkc?

Erm, is Whitespace supposed to be a joke?
Yes i think it was at least half meant to be a joke. I also suspect it may have been done as a little bit of a challange as to whether a usable language could be constructed with only three basic lexical symbols.

Related to Does Computer Science include Pascal ?

1. Does studying Computer Science automatically mean learning Pascal?

No, studying Computer Science does not automatically mean learning Pascal. While Pascal is a popular programming language taught in many computer science courses, it is not the only one. Students may also learn languages such as Python, Java, C++, and more depending on their program and curriculum.

2. Is Pascal still relevant in today's Computer Science field?

Yes, Pascal is still relevant in today's Computer Science field. Although it is not as widely used as other languages, it is still used in certain industries and has influenced the development of other languages. Additionally, learning Pascal can help with understanding programming concepts and principles that can be applied to other languages.

3. Can I study Computer Science without learning Pascal?

Yes, you can study Computer Science without learning Pascal. While it may be included in some courses, it is not a required language for all computer science programs. Students can choose to focus on other languages or aspects of computer science that do not involve Pascal.

4. Is Pascal a difficult programming language to learn?

This can vary from person to person, but generally Pascal is considered to be a relatively easy programming language to learn. It has a simple syntax and was designed to be easy for beginners to understand. However, like any language, it may take time and practice to become proficient in it.

5. What are the benefits of learning Pascal in Computer Science?

Learning Pascal in Computer Science can provide a strong foundation in programming concepts and principles. It also allows students to gain experience with a structured and statically typed language, which can be beneficial when learning other languages. Additionally, some industries still use Pascal, so having knowledge of it can open up job opportunities.