Does carbonation cause straws to float in water?

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of a straw not staying in a glass of Coke with no ice. The person speculates that the straw is held up by surface tension, but when they try to put it back in normally, it slowly rises. The possibility is raised that the carbonation bubbles may be causing the straw to rise by attaching to it and growing. This explanation is accepted as making sense.
cragar
So when i go to a restaurant and order a coke with no ice and the waitress brings it back with a straw in it the straw never stays in the glass. When i get it the straw is resting on the edge of the glass with the end barely in the coke, my guess is that it is held up with surface tension. But when I try to put the straw back in the glass normally it slowly starts to rise back up. But if the straw is just in water it will stay put at the bottom of the glass. So is it possible that some of the carbonation is bubbling up and hitting the straw making it go up?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's the bubbles attaching themselves to the side of the straw and growing.

thanks for your answer, That makes sense

Related to Does carbonation cause straws to float in water?

What is buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the ability of an object to float in a fluid, such as water. It is determined by the object's weight and the amount of fluid it displaces.

How does a straw float in water?

A straw floats in water because the air inside the straw is less dense than the water surrounding it. This creates an upward force called buoyancy that keeps the straw afloat.

Why do some straws sink in water?

Some straws may sink in water if they are made of a denser material, such as metal or thick plastic, which makes them more likely to displace less water and have a higher overall weight compared to their volume.

Can you increase the buoyancy of a straw?

Yes, the buoyancy of a straw can be increased by adding air to the straw. This will increase the overall volume of the straw and decrease its density, making it more likely to float in water.

How does the shape of a straw affect its buoyancy?

The shape of a straw can affect its buoyancy because a wider or larger straw will displace more water and have a greater buoyant force compared to a narrower or smaller straw. Additionally, a curved or bent straw may also have a different buoyancy due to its shape and distribution of weight.