Does Bott periodicity imply homotopy equivalences?

• Thread starter nonequilibrium
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the basics of topological K-theory and how it is defined as K^n(X) = [X, B^n Gr^\infty(m)] with m going to infinity. It also explores how Bott periodicity implies B^n Gr^\infty \simeq B^{n+2} Gr^\infty and how this relates to the classifying space of the infinite Grassmannian. The conversation also touches on the idea of base point preserving maps and how they are insensitive to the number of disconnected components. Finally, it offers encouragement to continue learning about K-theory.
nonequilibrium
Hello!

Trying to learn some basics of (topological) K-theory and came up with the following question:

From what I can gather, we can define (complex, topological) K-theory as [itex] K^n(X) = [X, B^n Gr^\infty(m)] [/itex] with m going to infinity (indeed for m large enough, the answer is independent of it) and where B is taking the classifying space (this means: for any topological space X, we define BX such that [itex] \Omega (B X) = X[/itex] where [itex]\Omega[/itex] takes the loop space).

Let me know if so far I have made a mistake. As an illustration this tells us [itex]K^0(X) = [X,Gr^\infty] [/itex] (where I have implicitly taken the limit [itex]m \to \infty[/itex]) which indeed classifies vector bundles on X up to (stable) isomorphism/equivalence.

So Bott periodicity tells us [itex]K^n(X) \cong K^{n+2}(X)[/itex]. In other words it tells us [itex] [X, B^n Gr^\infty] \cong [X, B^{n+2} Gr^\infty] [/itex]. My question is: have I made a mistake, or does Bott periodicity imply

[tex]\boxed{ B^n Gr^\infty \simeq B^{n+2} Gr^\infty} \;?[/tex]

To focus on a specific example, let's take n = -1. Then this would tell us that the classifying space of the infinite Grassmannian is homotopic to U(n) (for n large enough). Is this true?...

EDIT: It seems wikipedia agrees with the above bold statements. However, not completely. For example it implies that in fact [itex] B^2 Gr^\infty \simeq \mathbb Z \times Gr^\infty [/itex]. This seems weird, as I wouldn't expect [itex] [X, Gr^\infty ] \cong [X, \mathbb Z \times Gr^\infty ][/itex] ... Do we have to take reduced cohomology/mod out by something to make it all work, or does it work like this anyway and do I just fail to see it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Aha, I have realized the answer. The key point is that [itex] [X,Y] \cong [X,Y \times \mathbb Z] [/itex] since in these contexts we are looking at *base point preserving* maps, which are insensitive to the number of disconnected components.

Hi there! I'm not an expert in K-theory, but from what I understand, you have the right idea. K-theory is indeed defined as K^n(X) = [X, B^n Gr^\infty(m)] with m going to infinity, and this does classify vector bundles on X up to stable isomorphism. And yes, Bott periodicity does imply that B^n Gr^\infty \simeq B^{n+2} Gr^\infty, so your statement is correct.

As for your example with n=-1, I believe you are correct in saying that B^2 Gr^\infty \simeq \mathbb Z \times Gr^\infty. This is because the classifying space of the infinite Grassmannian is homotopy equivalent to the classifying space of the group U(n), which is homotopy equivalent to the product of the classifying space of the unitary group U(n) and the classifying space of the integers, which is just \mathbb Z. So it is not an error, it just follows from the definition of the classifying space.

I hope this helps clarify things for you! K-theory can definitely be a tricky subject, so don't worry if it takes some time to fully grasp it. Keep up the good work!

Related to Does Bott periodicity imply homotopy equivalences?

1. What is Bott periodicity and how does it relate to homotopy equivalences?

Bott periodicity is a mathematical phenomenon that states that certain homotopy groups of spheres have a repeating pattern with a period of 8. This implies that any space with a homotopy equivalent to a sphere will also have a periodicity of 8. In other words, if two spaces have the same homotopy type, they are also homotopy equivalent.

2. What is the significance of Bott periodicity in mathematics?

Bott periodicity has significant implications in algebraic topology, as it allows for the simplification of calculations related to homotopy groups and homotopy equivalences. It also has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as K-theory and representation theory.

3. Can Bott periodicity be generalized to other spaces besides spheres?

Yes, Bott periodicity has been generalized to other types of spaces, such as Lie groups and compact manifolds. However, the exact period may vary depending on the type of space.

4. How is Bott periodicity related to the classification of spaces?

Bott periodicity provides a powerful tool for classifying spaces, as it allows for the identification of homotopy equivalent spaces. This is particularly useful in cases where explicit classification is not possible.

5. Are there any exceptions to Bott periodicity?

Yes, there are some exceptions to Bott periodicity, such as non-simply connected spaces or spaces with non-trivial fundamental groups. In these cases, the periodicity may not hold or the period may be different from 8.