Does back pressure give incorrect flow reading?

In summary, the conversation discusses the design and testing of a digital peak flow meter with two different models based on calculations. It is observed that the flow rate is higher in the model with a tighter constriction and lower in the one with a broader constriction. The airflow sensor is attached to nozzles on each side of the constriction, and the conversion from differential pressure to flow rate may have a margin of error due to variations in nozzle designs. A smaller constriction can result in a higher velocity and pressure differential, which can affect the accuracy of the measurement. Therefore, the nozzle coefficient for each design must be established through flow testing.
CadisEtramaDiRaizel
I have to build a digital peak flow meter. I have two models based on calculations ( ideal). I have noticed that the flow rate on the model with a tighter constriction has a greater value than that of a much broader constriction. While testing it out, i noticed air resistance from the first model ( tighter). The second one has almost no resistance. So, does back pressure give an incorrect reading>

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is the airflow sensor in the constriction?

CWatters said:
Is the airflow sensor in the constriction?

No, it is attached to nozzles present on each side of the constriction.
Untitled1.png

Fluid dynamics isn't my subject but...

How do you convert differential pressure to flow rate?

If two devices with different constrictions give different results that suggests to me the possibility of an error in the way the conversion is done.

CWatters said:
Fluid dynamics isn't my subject but...

How do you convert differential pressure to flow rate?

If two devices with different constrictions give different results that suggests to me the possibility of an error in the way the conversion is done.
flow = a2*sqrt(2*ΔP/(density*(1-pow((a2/a1),2))));

where Q is the flowrate, ΔP is the pressure difference between the two nozzles, A1 and A2 the outer and inner diameters respectively, and ρ the density.

A higher reading was observed with a smaller constriction.

First, the above equation is clearly only for a theoretically ideal nozzle because the one factor absolutely mandatory in every real world application flow measurement nozzle equation is the nozzle coefficient (actual measured vs ideal) of each nozzle's particular design.

As to your original question, the smaller the second section diameter the higher the velocity in that section and greater the differential between the velocity in the two sections; therefore, the greater static pressure differential as well. The "a2/a1" factor in the equation varies correspondingly to normalize the measurement between the two flow velocity conditions.

With regard to relative accuracy, the effects on flow of a given nozzle design can affect the flow and pressure differential of that nozzle, for example, flow necking at the small diameter entrance, and as a result nozzle designs can not be scaled based strictly on a given configuration, the actual nozzle coefficient for each nozzle design must be established by flow testing in a calibrated flow testing system of that individual nozzle design, including its entry and small areas ratio.

Related to Does back pressure give incorrect flow reading?

1. What is back pressure and how does it affect flow readings?

Back pressure is the resistance or obstruction to fluid flow in a system. It can be caused by various factors such as clogs, bends, or restrictions in the system. Back pressure can affect flow readings by creating inaccurate measurements due to the increased resistance in the system.

2. How does back pressure impact the accuracy of flow meters?

Back pressure can impact the accuracy of flow meters by causing the meter to read a lower flow rate than what is actually passing through the system. This is because the back pressure reduces the force of the fluid moving through the meter, resulting in an incorrect reading.

3. Can back pressure cause flow meters to give higher readings?

In some cases, yes, back pressure can cause flow meters to give higher readings. This can happen when the back pressure is unevenly distributed throughout the system, causing certain areas to have higher pressure than others. This can result in a distorted flow rate reading.

4. How can back pressure be minimized to ensure accurate flow readings?

Back pressure can be minimized by ensuring that the system is properly designed and maintained. This includes using appropriate pipe sizes, avoiding sharp bends or restrictions, and regularly checking for clogs or buildup. In some cases, installing a back pressure regulator can also help to reduce back pressure.

5. Are there any other factors besides back pressure that can affect flow meter accuracy?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect flow meter accuracy such as changes in temperature, viscosity, and density of the fluid being measured. It is important to consider all of these factors when using flow meters to ensure accurate readings.